Nov 24, 2016

The Sense In It All....


Did you know it is the unofficial anthem of Thanksgiving...


I love this song but the story behind it took on a whole new meaning especially for this year... This 18 minute rendition tells the story of how Arlo help Alice clean up an old church that had been converted after the feast on Thanksgiving back in 1965... 

...So Arlo & a friend loaded up a VW bus with scrap & garbage & off they went to the dump...

which was closed because it was Thanksgiving... So they ended up dumping it on some private property....which they ended up arrested for....

so now Arlo has a litter bug record.... Arlo shows up to the draft center as required & is told because of his litterbug record he is "morally unfit " to serve in the military.... really!!!  
Hence Alice's Restaurant in born not long after.....Arlo explained in a interview that it was "not a anti-protest song but an anti-stupid song"... because it made no sense what the draft officials said... 

So in a time when common sense seems to have left the building & the future has been made very uncertain, I thought this song made perfect sense...

As the aromas of the holiday fill my home, I intend to enjoy my family & good food ...& I will stay in the present today...

with a touch of nostalgia..."wink"

  

6 comments:

Babylon Sisters said...

Our local non-profit radio station will play the whole song/story today - it's great! Happy Thanksgiving Linda!

Linda said...

Same to you Mary!! Have a wonderful day!! :)

Lady of the Woods said...

is this for real?! Yes, it has to be because what doesn't make sense is usually the case and the idiots who "make the rules" are as insane as it gets! oh bejeesuz. "anti stupid"....what a great revolution that would be. Have the best Holidays Linda.

Holly said...

We heard this on the radio on our way from my Grandma's to my mother in laws.Thanks for the background info.

Jackie P Neal said...

Very cool to hear the background of this- I love useless trivia! Thanks for sharing Linda!

Linda said...

Glad everyone enjoyed the song...I agree Jackie...I love the useless trivia as well...The hubby & I compete to see who can come up with the most obscure...unfortunately I am dealing with the King of Rock Music trivia...but I still have fun trying to stump him :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...