Apr 16, 2016

DIY Friday- ( on Saturday)- Lily's Doll Cradle

This is our granddaughter's doll cradle the Hubby & I made for her...It was a creation of love & we loved every minute of it... We based the design on an antique cradle I saw on Pinterest... The Hubby built it & added the wavy design on the sides which I loved.... Then brought it to me....
  I craved four flowers on the sides, headboard & foot-board... Then it was time to paint....
I wanted it to look as though it had been around or years...I added crackle glaze then a couple of coats of home made chalk paint...very easy...just add 1/2 cup baking soda to 1 cup paint.... I added just a bit more baking soda on the second coat to add more texture... its hard to see in these pictures....
I painted the flowers the usual solid colors...BORING!!  so I painted on a few more colors...let it dry then wiped it off gently with a wet rag...it left a real wild look to the flowers that I loved...it looked fantastically aged...so I repeated the process a couple of more times until I was satisfied.... Then I applied some home made beeswax....now on to the sewing...
 I made a french mattress out of linen for the cradle...Baby dolls have to be comfortable after all....
 The quilt I hand-stitched in 1987  & stored away in my trunk...it was my first doll quilt & I made it specifically with a future granddaughter in mind...so it was really nice to add this piece to the bedding...

 another view of the mattress & pillow.....
 The pillow & pillow case I made from my crib sheets when I was a baby...(ignore the red tinge on the pillow...that's is my camera acting up)...the sheets were hand-embroidered by my Step Grandmother....I still have some of the sheet left so I am making some bibs & PJs for a couple of baby dolls...
Now I got a Brother's sewing machine for my birthday last year & it has all these amazing stitches on it...so I had to get fancy for the top sheet....some more linen & lavender thread later....
The final result......
Life just doesn't get better than this...I would say it was a hit.... three babies now are resting comfortably in it with their attentive little mother feeding them... We are so blessed to have such a beautiful little girl in our lives...& to be able to pass on these sentimental family items is a real treat....
This is Love.....
Happy weekend everyone!!

2 comments:

Lady of the Woods said...

Linda, this is MAGIC, PURE BEAUTIFUL MAGIC !! LOVE IT.

Red Rose Alley said...

The doll cradle is so darling. You did a wonderful job on it. Love the Purple flowers. I have a niece named Lily, so I smiled when I read that your granddaughter's name is Lily. This was a nice project you did for her, and she can keep this cradle always.

~Sheri

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...