Mar 9, 2016

DIY Tin Can Redo.....

 I am posting this a little early...couldn't wait until Friday...so I'll post something else Friday....First of all...75 here today in Maine....I could not believe it...doors & windows are wide open & I love all the fresh air going through the house....I would like to say it will last and who knows maybe it will....
Ok  so I wanted to redo some tins I have to hold things...I like having things handy in my craft room but not have it look like a craft room...so there are lots of boxes baskets & such to hold things... Time to experiment...I came across a recipe for chalk paint so I thought that would be fun to work with...very easy recipe...2/3 cup paint to 1/3 cup baking soda... There are 4 different recipes but I liked this one because of the  texture...
I painted the cans with white chalk paint & let it dry..then with some left over stain...dark walnut.. I sponged it over the top & bottom of the can... I did this with about three times so there were three levels of stain...light to a bit darker at the edges...  after that I took some watered down  green acrylic paint & lightly sponged it over the satin  to give it a mossy look....
Now the fun part...I decoupaged some beige looking tissue paper around the middle with Mod Podge crumpling the paper as I glued it on... Then I took some dried wild plants I had pressed last Fall and glued them on...I gave it a coat of Mod Podge over that...I dabbed a bit of acrylic paint over the flowers just enough to brighten the colors up a bit...  I tired to make a label for the round tin but I did not like it so back to the drawing board on that...
 These three tins will have some dried plants added later this summer....These were just an experiment but I am going to make a few more for gift giving...  I love the texture & earthy look which will work in the craft room.... 
And....
 its a great way to recycle those tins!!!

7 comments:

Lady of the Woods said...

ohhhhhh I do love it! its gorgeous Linda! I redid a tea tin to hold some tea and all I did was modpodge on some pretty paper, this is craftsmanship. I remember when I used to dry flowers, how could I forget such a lovely thing? am going to remember now, thanks for this, its gorgeous and inspiring!

Jackie P Neal said...

These cans came out gorgeous Linda! The organic-ness of these makes them even more appealing! Lovely work!
Jackie

Jenny Minerva said...

VERY beautiful & creative!

Hugs & Blessings, Jenny

Valkrye said...

These are superb Linda and what a beautiful, clever idea to reuse tins which usually go straight into the recycling bin. I want to try my hand at this . Thank you so much for the inspiration and sharing so generously.

Holly said...

Very nice upcycle for the cans and dried plants. 75 degrees sounds divine! We are still getting rain over here which we are in great need of. Have an inspirational weekend.

Pippa Koenig said...

are you interested to link it to:
http://disipi.blogspot.de/
??? P.

Fran said...

These are beautiful, very clever. Thank you for explaining how you made them, I think I will have a go xxx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...