Jan 9, 2016

Rosemary & the New Moon...

 I thought about what would be my first post of the New Year...I can't think of anything better than plants so I chose the Rosemary....& on the first New Moon of the year....Even better is the fact that the Rosemary plant is associated with the New Moon... 
Yay!!! a Rosemary plant is actually surviving in my home... I have had four other plants & they grew beautifully outside...until I brought them in for the winter...then BAM! dried up & dead... So I did some research this time.....I knew the roots need to stay dry during the winter but watering it was tricky......what I didn't realize was the water is taken in through the leaves... so this presented a much better watering system....

I came across a post & I can't find it now but the writer had the same problem...then she discovered this.... raise the plant up on a bed of stones &  keep it filled with water....the leaves absorb the water below....It works amazing!! I do spray it & give it a drink of water once a week but that's it...Its not the prettiest looking pot right now as you can see but I wanted to see if it survived first...two months later not only has it survived but its growing...about 4 inches now... so I am on the hunt for a new pot to put it in.... I also added a snowy quartz to the pot just to add a little crystal energy...
Rosemary has many magical properties as well....it is called the Dew of the Sea & Elf Leaf...it is associated with New Moon rituals & meditation...so hold a sprig while you meditate....It was one of the oldest of incense....burn with sage to help purify the air, drive away negative energy & illness... putting a sprig under your pillow encourages good dreams & keeps nightmares away... It is used with Holly & Mistletoe for Yule... the fragrance of Rosemary is said to help memory.... & of course it's a great culinary herb...
but the one I found the most interesting was an old saying....
Where Rosemary flourishes, the Woman rules" 
....I think I'll post it on the frig & see how long it takes the Hubby to notice... "wink"

5 comments:

Lady of the Woods said...

hummm I love this, and I love rosemary plants as well, for some reason cannot have enough of them. I have one but need another, then another. I have two lovely topiaries of them. I think I will try sleeping with a sprig under the pillow for the nighmares, why didn't I think of that! And I love their names!.....''Dew of the Sea & Elf Leaf''.....what a lovely and magical way to start my day with the magic of nature, thanks for this!

Méa Strauß said...

Linda, now I know, what I did wrong with it!!! Thank you so much - my next one won´t suffer. I did everything wrong then. Thank you soooo much for letting me know all this, I did not know at all!!!
I simply LOVE rosemary and sage.
Huggggiiiies from Méa

Bohemian said...

I have quite a bit of Rosemary growing in the back Garden of the New Home... we've had an unseasonably wet Winter so far here in the Desert so I Hope that does not have an ill effect on them preferring dry roots in Winter? It tends to flourish and bloom often here in the Desert, but I too haven't had much luck bringing them inside either and when they die, it's fast! I hadn't heard that saying either, but I totally Rule and have always had Rosemary around... so it's fitting! Winks... Happy New Year my Friend... Dawn... The Bohemian

Red Rose Alley said...

I didn't realize how pretty the rosemary plant was. It looks delightful in your home.

I hope the new year brings you much peace, joy, and love, friend.

~Sheri

Holly said...

If I ever had another daughter I would name her Rosemary Sage ( no more babies for me had tubes tied after #4) Rosemary is on of my favorite scents and I must grow more this upcoming season to work with. I used the new moon as my new year celebration it seemed more fitting. Many Blessings to you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...