Oct 5, 2014

Winter Terrarium... Part Two.. Moss Quarantine...

So today I went on a moss expedition....
Isn't this stump magical!! 
Woodland Fairies dance here at night...

I got some beautiful pieces....waiting until after that good soaking rain was the best thing to do.... I was able to get four different types ..

Haircap Moss...

Pincushion Moss (with some Haircap)

Fork Moss.....

Sheet Moss... I love this because it really
 does come up in sheets...
There is enough moss to make my two terrariums & some small ones for Christmas gifts...I harvest sustainably...taking only small pieces here & there...you would never know I had taken any.... I take a spatula with me so all you have to do is slide it under the moss & lift it up & deposit it into a bag...
easy peasy....
When I got home I placed the moss in a large bowl of water & let it soak for a few minutes...then gently run it under some water to remove most of the dirt, rocks, tiny twigs, etc...you would be surprised how much comes out....

then gently squeeze it to remove most of the water...I put them in a plastic container & bags leaving it partially open for air circulation... 


I have them sitting in a East facing window...very little sun but lots of light....now begins the watch...I have a mister that I put distilled water in so if the moss looks like it is drying out I will give it a squirt...  For the next two weeks, I will watch for any sprouts or bugs that come up... I am so glad to have  found the  Fern & Mossery post on this step... My last terrarium probably would have looked so much better...
Tomorrow I am picking up the organic potting soil & some gravel....Then it is just finding the right container ...so the hunt is on....I will keep you posted on what goes on for the next two weeks.... 

Have a great week...

10 comments:

JackieP Neal said...

How exciting! Your photos of your finds are gorgeous and I can absolutely envision those fairies dancing on that stump under the moonlit sky! ")

Lady of the Woods said...

Hi Linda, its been a while. I've been playing with moss lately too. I bought some fresh moss but it doesn't last long unless the spot is perfect. I love that you can collect your own and different ones too. My dried out sheet moss got brown but I hated to discard it, so I decided to paint it moss green lol...then it was looking good again and I used it to line an iron basket and replanted it. Am happy. Love moss for so many many reasons. My fantasy home has no grass, just moss!

Bohemian said...

I do miss Moss... don't get it here in the Desert. Mossy Images bring rushes of Nostalgia back... but I never thought to harvest it and put it in a Terrarium, how Clever to Create a mini Forrest effect... and what a Fab Gift to give and to receive! So glad you too are back to Blogging... and thanks for coming by for a Blog Visit.

Blessings from the Arizona Desert... Dawn... The Bohemian

laoi gaul~williams said...

ohhh lovely and what a great idea. i love moss so much...and ferns. my garden here is very much a wild one and slowly i have had moss start to grow, i have about 6 ferns so far and i was so excited last week to find the most beautiful fungi growing on a birch log...i must find the photo and put it on my blog!

Méa Strauß said...

Linda, finally I found you - the next days I will be your guest here on your faboulos FABOULOS (!) blog. I found you vie your post on Miss Clara. I am so glad. From now on you will have me as your follower, as I was seeking for this so badly - as we are so different and on the other hand so alike.
Hugs from Méa :))

Amaranth' s Träumerei said...

What a wonderful Blog! It's like a dream...
I think in this pictures I can see a Fairy rightnow.
Best greetings ~ Susanne ~

Monica M said...

i have to show my daughter that first fairy mound stump! lovely shots. peace.

Linda said...

Thank You Ladies for your wonderful comments ...To all of those who are new... welcome <3 ....I will be posting again soon... :)

hely fely said...

It’s really very informative that I wanted ever, thanks for this. Böhmisches Glas

hely fely said...

It’s really very informative that I wanted ever, thanks for this. Böhmisches Glas

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...