Oct 4, 2014

The Winter Terrarium .... Part One


ferns in quarantine

 I am preparing for winter....It will be a green one this year...I am once again making a terrarium for my living space.....if I am to be surrounded by white landscape outside, I will have my little green oasis to gaze upon inside....I have made terrariums before that managed to last at least through the winter but just barely...

So now I am getting serious...I want them to last years...so I have been researching...planning & buying supplies....The first thing I ordered was a bag of charcoal....to absorb the impurities ... I have a small batch of white river stones that are clean & ready...... Yesterday I went out scouting for some decent moss which I found a nice batch......I will be harvesting the crop tomorrow after the good soaking it is getting today.....I also found some tiny ferns in the woods that are in quarantine as you see in the picture above.......

& I ordered some Soleirolia soleirolii aka Baby Tears to add...  I love this plant because another name for it is "mind your own business"...too funny....  

Now to get some organic potting soil & some small gravel  which I can get at the local plant shop....  I am adding three small wooden mushrooms the Hubby turned out for me on the lathe ...  I am thinking a small Buddha in the other as it will be placed in my sacred space area.... The final piece (s) to the puzzle...the glass containers... I am looking for something really special & unique for the living room.... so far this one is on my wish list.... Bubble terrariums blown from recycled glass...so beautiful & so expensive...  
well I can dream....


So the collection of the ingredients :
stones & gravel
charcoal
organic potting soil with peat moss 
sphagnum moss to keep soil from settling into the rocks...
moss, ferns & plants
statue or small items for decorations... 
glass containers...

& quarantine of the plants are  the first order of business.......This is so important to make sure any mold or dead plants are removed as well as any little bugs that creep out...this ensures healthy plants when you put your terrarium together...  I think if I had added this step my last terrarium would have lasted...

I also found this site which has some great information on terrariums & putting them together for anyone interested....... 

The next post will be on the quarantine process......

Happy weekend everyone...

5 comments:

Joan@CopperCreeker said...

i've been thinking of this also.
there's a special place that i plan to go for my moss and ferns. i have a few small hag/holey stones and other rocks put aside. anxious to start. i need to check into finding a local place for the Baby Tears. i've wanted a start/plant for awhile now.
thank you for this info and i look forward to your next post.
i've enjoyed your blog and have been a lurker for a long time.

JackieP Neal said...

I look forward to your process as well as progress- thanks so much for sharing this journey of green!

Lady of the Woods said...

Hi Linda, I had a terrarium that last almost a year on my window sill. I rarely had to do anything but mist it with distilled water. You can find some interesting Wardian cases at Michaels or Home Goods if you have those stores, these little greenhouses are becoming popular, I think they'd be perfect. But those bubble ones are adorable!

Bohemian said...

I'm Loving these little Terrariums! I always used to have Terrariums in my room when I was young... but I confess I haven't Created one in decades. Now you've got me longing to Create another and see how it goes? Dawn... The Bohemian

En estado de Rachel said...

Love these mini worlds!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...