Jun 21, 2014

Wild Rose Jelly....

I love this time of year...I am so grateful to live where I can grow roses everywhere...after a very long winter there is nothing better than inhale the wonderful fragrance of  antique roses as well as the Peonies that are blooming right now...


I have been collecting the petals for oil to make body butters for the winter...Come January & February, nothing helps than to open up a jar of lotion & that wonderful fragrance comes drifting out...It can really lift your spirits....

This year I decided to try something new....

Wild Rose Jelly....& it is delicious...
I made some from the wild pink ones & from the Harrison Gold roses, an old antique rose I brought with me here from up north...the jelly reminds me of the marmalade my Gram used to eat on her toast...


The recipe is very simple....Gather the roses in the morning, at least 5 cups...
Then take off the white part at the bottom of the petal, this part is bitter.....It takes some time but it is worth it..Don't use flowers bought at a store because of pesticides...use roses that are wild & untreated...
Take 4 cups of spring water  & bring to a boil...add the roses &  let this simmer for 15 minutes...then strain it out with cheesecloth...you want to have 4 cups of rose water... Now your ready to make jelly... I used the recipe here but made some modifications...

Wild Rose Jelly

4 cups of rose water
1 pkg of low sugar pectin
2 tsp lemon juice
1 C sugar & 1 3/4 C Stevia 
( the original recipe calls for 5 1/2 C sugar)
Combine the Rose water, Pectin & lemon juice ...bring to a boil...
add Stevia & sugar & bring to a rolling boil for 1 minute....
Pour into sterilized jars & add lids..Process in a water bath canner for 10 minutes.
Makes 3 half pints

This will be great on homemade biscuits...

2 comments:

Tante Mali said...

Oh Linda,
I can smell your wonderful roses in my little house in Austria. How wonderful to capture summer in glases and open them in winter! That's a poetic idea!
All the best
Elisabeth

Anonymous said...

As a child I ate the roses before they could make it to the kitchen for cooking purposes. But you've re-inspired me to save some for winter's pantry. Thank you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...