Jun 24, 2014

The Blue Bedroom... Part One

So I couldn't wait to post how the walls came out...We LOVE  how the room is coming out...I am so glad I decided to go dark in this room... 

I cleared the room out...remove the base board & trim around the window...This room had a color wash already on it...so I used a medium blue with a primer in it.....It covered beautifully... everything walls, ceiling & closet...

Now to make the wall stencil .. Finding free stencil templates online is a snap...I used this stencil template here...I got a few pieces of 14 ml mylar on Ebay here.. enough to make 2 or 3 stencils...I have more plans for stencils...You want 14 ml for the walls as they are very sturdy & stand up to joint compound.......Raised plaster wall stencils are expensive, so if you can make it yourself it helps ...


14 ml is very thick so cutting through this is tough but having a Hubby who is a machinist helps...he made me a tip to fit into my wood burning tool that cut right through the plastic...I left the edges rough because that was what I was going for especially with plaster..... but you could sand them down to make a smoother look...

 Then time to tape it to the wall....I used joint compound tinted with some light blue...I put a coat on a little over 1/4 inch....then just slowly pull it it away starting from the top & this is the result....
 a raised stencil...  

 I put them on randomly... You will want to rinse the stencil off every so often...any smudges just wipe away... Then I started the next layer...the dark blue glazing...

This is rolled on then sponge off so it gets a mottled aged  look... I also wanted the stencils to be very subtle on the wall...

  If you notice I left a bit of the light blue showing through...just enough to give the stencil a bit of relief...

 Then in the corners I darkened it with the dark blue paint...I found that tip over at India pied-à-terre a great place for all kinds of DIY for the home...

It has a cool, calm feel to it & the double windows let in just enough light to give it a cozy feel... 
Now I am finishing the closet &  we are doing something temporary to the floor until we find the wood we want so I can't wait to see how it turns out.... So stay tuned for Part two!!  

6 comments:

My Grama's Soul said...

Linda....THIS IS FABULOUS!!!!

xoxo

Jo

Babylon Sisters said...

Oh Linda, it's magical! Can't wait to see more! xoMary

Andrea said...

Oh my! What a deeply creative wall treatment. I never could have dreamed of something so lovely! Can't wait for more <3
Andrea

Ms Misantropia said...

Amazing

turquoisemoon said...

Wow...I love this. I may copy when I do my bedroom.

Linda said...

Thanks Ladies....I highly recommend trying this :D

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...