Feb 15, 2014

DIY Friday- Nature Molds

I found this artist through my friend Winnie at Altered Alchemy... Her name is Gayle Dowell who shared how she makes Nature Molds... I loved finding this!!! When I read the post, I was out the door...It was a good time because we had a lull from the snow so I was able to get into the woods a bit......

 I found  items like miniature pine cones, a pine tassel, a fir stem, a plant that looked like a miniature cat-n-nine tail.....I got my air dry clay out & followed Gayle's instruction of pressing the clay with the plant material between two pieces of glass....then I let it air-dry for a couple of days..Now I have a permanent mold to use....

When you push the polymer clay into the mold this is what you get.... A mini picture of Nature!

 I did three practice pieces.... 
The two smaller ones are 1"x 2"  the larger one is 3" x 1"

 The mold for this piece broke ....I got too anxious didn't let it dry long enough... 
But I was able to get this piece out of it...

Some paint, then a wash of walnut stain & I am one happy camper....
I have been looking for something to put in my bathroom that had a woodland feel....I plan on making some tiles from these for the wall.... so stay tuned for that...
Thanks to Gayle Dowell for sharing her technique for these molds....Be sure I check out her blog here ......Now I really cannot wait for spring!!!!

5 comments:

Rubye Jack said...

Finally, something I can do!
We used to make these kind of molds in grade school but I'd forgotten all about them. Of course yours looks much nicer than the ones we made as kids. I'll have to try it again.

Linda said...

These were so much fun & easy.......Be sure & read her instructions she suggests different mediums for molds... I am going to try a couple of them... :D

Sacred Keep said...

This is such a creative idea love it

... :) ...
blessings

Gayle Dowell said...

I love how your molds turned out and also your clay pieces! Thanks for mentioning me as your source of inspiration for the molds. It makes my day to find that I've inspired someone to creativity. I love your blog, it has such a nice nature feel to it. Makes me feel at home. :)

Linda said...

Thank you Gayle for sharing the DIY.. I was so excited to find that...I acannot wait for the summer to begin..I plan to make a lot of molds...Your pieces are so inspiring... Thanks again for sharing your technique...... I have some plans for tiles for my bathroom using this method.. :D

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...