Feb 7, 2014

DIY Friday- Meditation Table: Part 1

So here we are with part one of the table... I was inspired by the old factory carts that people use for coffee tables now...  So I thought why not a mini version...I still have the finishing touches but I wanted to post what we have done so far...I am really happy how it is coming out especially since the Hubby has added his artistic talent to it...Everything is recycled material we had around the home... It is 3 ft by 2ft & about 9 inches off the ground...it will make a great meditation table...

If you remember I started with this door...that was going to be a craft table...but because of the top part so so badly deteriorated I decided to salvage what I could from it...
I ended up with 6 pieces of wood about 2 ft in length as well as the two inner panels which I will use for another project..... I decided on the meditation table at this point.....
 I used a thin piece of plywood to hold the six pieces together...instead of stripping or painting the bottom down I decided to decoupage with some tissue paper...So much faster & easier ...
& cute I think... 
 Then I put four strips of wood around the edges 
which hang about an inch below the bottom.... These were screwed in , then I filled in the holes with wood putty...after they dry I am sanding them smooth then aging the edges to match the center.. The Hubby also made me four iron corners out of angle iron to hide the seams at the corners...

I had two cast iron wheels that seemed to be made for this project..So my heavy metal guy made an axle out of a pipe & two wood braces to hold it...He is getting two big Hex bolts to put in the ends of the pipe to finish it up.... I want to add a single leg to the back but not sure what that will be yet...
Now on to part two...the finishing touches....
the wood carvings & beeswax...
So stay tuned for the final reveal!!

Have a great weekend!!

4 comments:

Sixpence and A Blue Moon said...

This is really awesome. I am new to meditation and find this idea so appealing. I just googled what to do with a meditation table, found some other ideas to work on also.

Thanks so much for the inspiration.

Yours is awesome!

Debra

Rubye Jack said...

I always read about your projects with a bit of awe. I could never do something like this but I like reading about it, and seeing your process.

Bohemian said...

It looks Wonderful Linda... and will serve dual Purposes, if not more. I'd Love to have one of those Industrial Carts to replace my Coffee Table... but with the G-Force, anything with Wheels, would become a projectory I'm afraid, with them on it! *Wheeeeeeee!* So maybe not such a good Idea til they're Older. *winks* Blessings from the Arizona Desert... Dawn... The Bohemian

Linda said...

I hear you Dawn...I would probably think twice if there were kids about..LOL

Thanks Rubye..if it wasn't for the Hubby I wouldn't get half of the projects done...I utilize his talents ALOT!! :D

Debra that is a good idea to find ideas about using the meditation table..I am heading to Google now..:D

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...