Oct 25, 2013

DIY Friday- A Bit of Recycling...

We have been doing some serious cleaning out this summer...I mean serious...especially the Hubby he has been on a roll for a while now...it started with the basement & has now moved outside.....reading from my favorite little Feng Shui book for years finally paid off... ..I really never thought I would see the day where he would let go of so much STUFF.....but with Lily being born he felt that it was time for her now.... 
(maybe  a Hobbit playhouse in the works...**wink**).....
SO....off it went ...to the salvage yard, the dump & Goodwill...alot of it was junk pieces for projects that he decided he would never bother with...I jumped on board too...cleaning out the sheds...the storage room...anything that had been sitting 6 months or more would go...unless we used it immediately.... A couple of things we kept were part of an old stove we had... it needed so much work we decided to let this go until we moved...there is the perfect wood cook stove out there for us somewhere......but for now two pieces in it we kept....first the Copper water tank....

 Pretty nasty but it was mostly tarnish ...this side was the worse because it was next to the fire box....I decided to take this outside because there wasn't enough room here....So with  a bottle of lemon juice, a container of cheap table salt & scrubbie I went to work......most of the copper came shining through...I still want to do one more cleaning before buffing it out & clean up the top piece...... 

I was thinking a plant holder for some ivy.... Plus Copper has metaphysical properties... I know wearing it is beneficial.... I know I like cooking with it......I wonder if a piece like this will be beneficial in the house...



Then there is the ash pan...the Hubby is going to sandblast it I am not sure what I will do to it...but I am planning on using it next year in the woods behind the Moon gate to hold hanging plants...maybe some tiny  asylum & moss ????  So a Fairy like design might be in order...

Then I made this hanger...the container is the bottom part of a  vintage cast iron ceiling light.. This is still a work in progress.... I need to widen the knots near the cast iron bowl ...But I like the fact that the holes are there to attach the hemp to, it can be shortened or lengthened.... the tassel at that bottom can be changed easily....which it will on this one...
It also could be used for something other than plants...it could hold incense or crystals..  a ball of tiny lights... pinecones....an LED  up light....anything  ...Well., I would probably not use candles around the hemp...that wouldn't be good...

So what do you have around the house that could be a recycle project this weekend???

5 comments:

Linda Wolf said...

Oh, we are so very aligned in our thinking, girl, very aligned!

You're so right. This is the time of our life for people and experiences, not a bunch of stuff that we thought we needed at one time. In preparing for a big move next year, loads and loads of stuff has been going out of here lately, especially a lot of projects that I'm no longer interested in spending my time on and things we don't use. Much has been sold or donated.

As I recall, you an I read the same Feng Shui book. ;)

xxx

LInda

Babylon Sisters said...

Linda, you're so right about the hemp. Years ago my room mate was talking to me on the phone waving her 'smoke' around and the macrame plant hanger next to her went up in flames!
good times...

Linda said...

Yes Linda I think we do...the Karen Kingston one...Love that book...

Mary, I got thinking about that while writing this...candles definitely do not go well with hemp...LOL

laoi gaul~williams said...

very inspirational! we have been busy sorting through our place this year~slowly getting each room sorted and doing an amazing amount of de-cluttering...i am amazed we were hoarding so much! it now finally feels as if we have moved in properly!

Linda said...

Hi Laoi!! Nice to see you...:D I think alot of people are doing this as well... materialism is losing its appeal finally.. :D

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...