Aug 29, 2013

More From The Wild...

I haven't been too consistent with my posts right now but this time of the year it seems to be hard to sit for an extended length to write ...But I do have a huge cache of drafts ready for the winter....Today is a bit rainy & cloudy so a good time to spend some time here....
Last week I was harvesting Golden Rod...
Contrary to belief this is not what causes allergies...it is the rag weed that grows at the same time which is airborne allergen....Golden Rod is sticky & heavy so it has to be picked up by insects to pollinate which means the allergens are extremely low.... I am drying it for teas for coughs, colds, fever, sore throats, intestinal gas..& even for countering allergies..... I will probably make tinctures next year...I will be going back later to dig the roots to dry...they can be used in powdered form for wounds that do not heal well or achy joints...I have a Hubby who bangs himself all the time..... 
& Sweet Fern has been gathered......This actually not a fern but a member of the Bayberry family.. 
I love this....You can grab a bunch of  leaves & crush them a bit then rub them on your exposed limbs.... the insects hate it......Grab a bunch & throw it on your campfire to drive bugs away......You can line a basket with this & it will help keep berries fresh until you get home....This also makes a good poultice for poison ivy... You can also make a tonic tea for diarrhea , headaches, fever...
I am going to make an itch relief  infusion for bites & rashes.....Just two  simple things are required for this... sweet fern & water...this will keep for up to a year if you store it in a cool dark place.......It is good to have in the early spring, before the fern comes out, when you start cleaning up your land..or if you have someone who is super sensitive to poison ivy...someone may be burning it so it could be air borne...even in the winter they can pick it up.....
They say to harvest in the early summer but I think, as others do, it is better to harvest in late summer after the fruit goes by  then the energy  from the sun goes into the leaves which makes sense to me .....
I also harvested Violet Leaves...I am doing a second infusion  infusion with some Plantain Oil I made... These leaves are great for softening the skin as well as being anti bacterial...  & will be an added benefit to the Plantain Salve I will be making...I am also drying some for tea....Right now I pick some to throw on my salads...they taste yummy!!! They are good for shrinking tumors & cancer...I like that.... they can be used as poultices or salves for cysts, mastitis, and fibrocystic breasts. Because they are cooling it is good for coughs, sinus infections &  sore throats....
Just like the sweet fern, I wait until the late summer to harvest these little greenies which have been soaking up all that sun.......Flowers in the spring, leaves in the late summer...

So that is the latest from my part of the world...I love this time of year.....Harvest time.....Even the word gives me comfort.... How about you????

3 comments:

Luthien Thye said...

wow!!! how wonderful!! and how in the world did you know so much about alternative meds??? amazing!

A Wild Thing said...

I'll be harvesting the golden rod as well, I love seeing all the bees busying on the plants...all is dead here, the drought has killed the flowers, my trees are barren and look dead, the leaves are brown and crisp...I wish they'd stop ego-engineering the sky and give us back our normal weather patterns. Have fun with your tinctures!

Lady of the Woods said...

How lovely is this! I love your use of the leaves! Do you ever sell any? I just saw this video Linda, and have to send it to you, I think you'll love it. LOL...
http://www.realfarmacy.com/the-hazards-of-backyard-hens-2/
hugs. lady

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...