Jun 3, 2013

The Luna Faerie....

I believe that faeries exist...They are very elusive... Some of them live by the Moon but only for a short time...such as this Luna beauty....
If you look closely you can see her...I can see a smiling face in the cream colored area....

Luna moths are rare to see as they are only out at night & only live for about a week...They only live to reproduce & have no mouth so they do not eat...Isn't that strange...

Folklore gives some symbolic meaning to seeing a Luna moth...it can signify rebirth, new beginnings & transformation as they are creatures that can completely transform into a new being..The  Luna Moth is nocturnal  gravitating toward moonlight to orientate itself in the night... a  seeking out the light...aka truth & knowledge... when in darkness..
Whatever the meaning...it was a treat to wake up to see her gracing our door....After taking a few pictures...I sent her on her way....the girls were looking at her as a snack...

6 comments:

Jess said...

Wow that is truly stunning! You made some fantastic photos too, thanks for sharing.xx

Linda Wolf said...

Truly incredible! So glad you were able to capture this!

Valkrye said...

Loved this post Linda~ Whenever you are graced with such lovely creatures and/or moments from the natural world, they are imbued with a kind of magic. I especially liked the last photo with one of your 'girls" just outside . Thank you for sharing again .

Ashling said...

Glad you helped her along...I worried a bit when I saw that chicken! Have only seen one luna moth in my life...they are truly beautiful. Thank you!

Bohemian said...

Well now Linda I have an even greater Appreciation of the one sighting and subsequent Photo Op I had when I saw a Luna Moth! No Mouth and only a mere Week Lifespan... I didn't know that... I was so mezmerized by her Beauty that I didn't really take a peek at her face! So... is it only the Females that are mouthless and do not eat? Thanks for the Education on such a Gorgeous and Unusual Species.

Blessings from the Arizona Desert... Dawn... The Bohemian

Ann said...

What a special experience and an inspirational post. Really enjoyed your photos of the luna moth. Thanks so much for sharing.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...