Jun 24, 2013

Stocking Up.....

Yarrow
It has been a busy two weeks...with the vegetable garden...babysitting Grandpets ...But my focus right now is on the medicinal & culinary herbs.....So I have been harvesting alot of plant material.....Dandelion, Plantain, Red CloverYarrow, Lemon Balm, Feverfew, Roses & I came across a Mullein plant as well in my wanderings.....I was happy to see that because they had all but disappeared around our place.......I am fortunate to have so much growing wild around my home....& growing in my herb garden....lots of harvest with the culinary herbs as well.....Once you have grown your own buying in the store is just not the same...
The thing about herbs is this......they are just so easy to grow....even in pots if you don't have land...!!  One warning about Lemon Balm...plant it where you don't mind it wandering...because it will roam everywhere!!! My stone wall has disappeared in this garden...so I need to do some transplanting to its own area...
Lemon Balm
***As with any plant please read all warnings before use especially if you are pregnant, nursing or on blood thinners***
Tinctures
Most of the tinctures & oils are simple recipes...Just  fill your jar with plant material.....I did chop the Plantain up in my food processor......then add your vodka or brandy or your carrier oil...I use olive oil tho I did make some rose & coconut oil just to see how that would turn out... then fill them to the very top....I try to make sure all of the plants are covered.....slide a knife down through to get rid of any air bubbles & seal....I am leaving mine to cure for at least 12 weeks in a dark closet for the tinctures...the oils will be about 3-4 weeks in the sun then strained & put in a dark closet as well... I will be making salves from some of the oil in a couple of weeks......I used the migraine formula of Lemon Balm & Feverfew found here......I have provided links on each plant name above to read more about them...

Oils
What I didn't put up in jars are drying for teas on the herb rack or wrapped in newspaper laid out on the floor upstairs in the storage room where it dark, warm & dry....

Now I am starting on the roses....today I am making Rose Petal jam... I have a few antique Roses that are very fragrant so it should make a nice jam..... I will let you know how that comes out... as well as a few other Rose recipes I am trying this year...  More later...

Have a great week...

7 comments:

turquoisemoon said...

Your yard looks like a park! Simply beautiful... I used to do that when my boys were young, now, it seems, I just run to a health food store. I miss it though...

Gayle said...

I am interested in this as well, need to learn more, thanks for the links!

Linda Wolf said...

You certainly have been busy, Linda. Your photos are gorgeous! Thank for all the info. Look forward to hearing more about your herbal efforts.

Lady of the Woods said...

How so very very beautiful is everything! I love what you are doing, I wish I could grow more things here but cannot figure out what it is, maybe the heat truly is too much for plants in south florida, but I will never give up. I can't wait to see the moon gate and garden. Let us know how the tinctures come out and how it works with migraines. garden blessings, lady

laoi gaul~williams said...

lovely :) yes my lemon balm grows wild and will pop up in odd places as does my feverfew. swampy is always pulling little seedlings up from cracks in the path while i always hope his glance passes them by! i have started to harvest our nicest smelling rambling rose as well as lemon balm and sage. i also freeze sage into ice cubes to add to herbal tea to help with my hot flushes! i must try the lemon balm and feverfew balm out.

Suzanne said...

Swoon!!!!!!!!!!

Thats all I have to say

Little Fish Studio said...

So interesting lots of hints and tips for my garden. Thank you x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...