Jun 9, 2013

DIY Batik Wall Hanging...

I saw this Batik Dye Wall Hanging on Pinterest the other day & thought I would give it a try....Usually I post on Friday what I PLAN on doing that weekend but sometimes I get sidetracked so I decided to try this then post.... 

This took some time but I enjoyed it...
You need the following...

  •  A piece of fabric...I would suggest something lighter than what I used which was heavy cotton...
  • Pencil
  • Beeswax
  • A paintbrush... you will throw it away after...
  • Dye of your color choice...

I drew out my design on the fabric.....Heat the beeswax up in a double boiler.........you want it very hot to soak into the fabric.....So be careful when you begin to paint.... This is the part that took time... 

 That is why I suggested a lighter fabric...so the beeswax absorbs all the way through....Because I used a heavy cotton, I had to hang it in the window & trace over the lines from the back or else the dye would absorb everywhere...

After the beeswax dried, I dipped the cloth into the dye bath ...for this I dipped it maybe a few minutes then I laid it out & dropped straight dye onto some areas...I rinsed out some areas of the cloth so I ended up with a mottled look....like faded jeans...
Then it was out to dry in the sunshine...
After it is thoroughly dry,  you place paper towels over the fabric ..I had to place them under as well...& with a hot iron go over it to melt the wax which the paper towels absorb leaving your design visible...
& Voila!!!   
This reminds me of cut off shorts...my design did not come out as clear as the original version but I like the faded look...
Now to decide if I want to add anything more...fabric background, beads, macrame, grommets.......decisions decisions!!   So as soon as I finish it I will post the results...


Oh  I wanted to add an update to my post on the Lunar Moth based on questions I received from some of you.....first I was wrong....it is a He not a She...you can tell by the antenna..the males have more hair on them to pick up the pheromones the female releases into the air......He dies right after they mate & she does as soon as she lays up to 200 eggs.....They are not only rare but are now an endangered species thanks to all that wonderful toxic pollution released into Nature....So if you see one enjoy every minute...there may come a time when we will no longer see them. 
Have a great week everyone!!

5 comments:

My Grama's Soul said...

Oh Linda.....your piece is fabulous. I did not know how to do batik ...... and with your simple instruction....now I do......

xoxo

Jo

Ms Misantropia said...

Interesting and pretty! I've never seen a tutorial on wax batik dyeing before.

Gayle said...

very cool! I can't wait to see how you use this.

BlossomBatik said...

Nice try of batik. Love your batik

www.blossombatik.blogspot.com
www.blossombatik.com

Babylon Sisters said...

I've been thinking of making some kind of hippie style wall hangings - maybe batik is the answer! I've always found it intimidating but I'd like to try. Thanks for the inspiration (as usual)! xoxo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...