May 14, 2013

A Busy Week....

I love this time of year...Lots to do outside...Gardens, cleanup,  my new chicks & harvesting "weeds"...


Everything is greening up which makes the girls happy because their favorite hangout  is under the Bridal Wreath by the front door...now that the canopy has filled in they are pretty content...


My Bleeding Heart made it which I was happy to see...the girls had decimated it last year so I was afraid I had lost it...I have had this one since 1996... I was pretty happy to see these little hearts the other day...The plant was 6 times this size so it may take a couple of seasons to recover....it is now safely ensconced in the walled garden out of the reach of beaks...

 My crab apple is blooming more this year so I am hoping to see more crab-apples on it this year.... Everything is so pretty right now....

Things are busy inside too...I am getting to projects that I have posted about...Now I am getting them done...like my pillows...had to do a photo shoot in the Mediation room...:)

 I have had a huge crop of Violets this year...they have spread everywhere..the girls had a hand in that....hard to believe this was 1 small plant about 4 years ago...So I have been collecting them for the last couple of weeks & have 12 cups of these beauties....so not only will I be able to make the syrup but I am going to try a batch of jelly as well...  I will post on that when I make them with the recipes...In.. the meantime they are safe in the freezer......


Not to forget the Dandelion...I made Dandelion Tincture....the two jars on the left & Dandelion oil which I will make into salves for aches & pains....It is simple to make & after reading what a few people have learned from doing this I used some of their tips ...I collected the flowers and spread them out on newspaper over night to let some of the moisture dry off them...when making oil you want to do everything to prevent mold from occurring which is a problem with the oil..so the less moisture you have to deal with the better....I also added a Tblsp of Vodka which I use for my tinctures  & this will help prevent bacteria from growing in the oil.......Just fill a jar with flowers, cover with Olive Oil add the alcohol & place in the sun...I do not cover the jar with a lid...I have a screen that I put over it to keep bugs out...If you fill it halfway as I have, wipe out the jar when you see moisture collecting on the sides...Leave this for 2 weeks & strain then compost the flowers.....I have already done this with this batch so I did a second infusion of flowers today & will leave this for another two weeks...This makes for a much stronger oil...I am also drying some leaves for tea...

For the tincture I followed this young woman's instructions...



I do believe more than ever its time to get back to the Garden....Mother Earth's garden...

5 comments:

turquoisemoon said...

Simply beautiful! Wild violets have taken over my yard...really not a good thing.

Rachel Gallagher said...

Did you make the Dream Catcher in your meditation room? It's really beautiful. I've been thinking about having a go at making one but it looks rather complicated.

You're lucky to have those wild violets in your garden, I'd love to make my own violet syrup. I do get plenty of dandelions though, I'll definitely be collecting them now and trying out the oil.

Jema Rose said...

How lovely!

I really love this time of the year.

Hugs & Blessings from Jenny.

Ashling said...

So busy you are!!! And with such great projects...happy hens, happy plants, happy you!

Linda said...

Rachel I did make the Dreamcatcher...it was a knock-off from one I a had seen...I did a post on it a couple months ago...Super easy to make...:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...