Apr 28, 2013

Moon Gate & Gardens

So It has been a busy couple of days...Lots of digging, moving stones & raking tons of oak leaves  & so many branches from the winter storms this year.....great fire pit wood.......but the first part of this garden is done....I am really happy with it so far....
First it was transplanting the rhubarb from this little garden,, moving the soil to the side... then digging down to create a trench...Lots of help with this from the girls...a smorgasbord of bugs was enjoyed by all...

Then out came the moon gate...an old wagon wheel rim I have had in storage...& setting it in place.... this is a moon gate that is more for children which is what I had in mind... then filling in the trench & adding some flat stones on top to begin anchoring the wheel...

My creative Hubby made this moon a few years ago from the other wheel rim.....This hangs on the end of the house...he still wants to do a bit more with it...But I love it as is......

meanwhile the girls start on the leaves down below the gate in the woods....

Then it was a matter of building up the stones around the rim on the base which is where I was going to stop but then started to fan out the stones like a walkway...but then that became two round gardens & the Moon Garden was born....

Time to get busy planting white flowers typical of a Moon garden all around  now that the frame work is done...I am transplanting a few white plants I have into the garden...Moon flowers (Morning Glories) will be grown over the arch....creeping thyme between the stones in the walkway...I transplanted a Bridal Wreath bush to the left side that will look nice there when it blossoms....

This is the back side going down into the woods.... I want to plant Lily of the Valley going down the slope but for now will wait to see what comes in here naturally....I cannot wait for the canopy to grow in through the woods...

I did one last thing today with the help of the Hubby & that was to place this huge stone in the front... There is a special reason for it...but that will be revealed later.... Now to plant.....
Stay tuned for more on this summer's project....

8 comments:

Linda Wolf said...

Linda, this is FANTASTIC! Looking forward to following your progress on this creative project.

Gayle said...

very cool! I wish you lived closer.....I have lily of the valley coming out my ears!! I would gladly give you some. In fact I might suggest that you be very careful .....it is pretty tenacious, however mine will be blooming in a week or two and while it's blooming all is forgiven....

Jema Rose said...

WOW this is really amazing, you & your husband are so talented & creative!

Hugs & Blessings from Jenny

Babylon Sisters said...

beautiful!

My Grama's Soul said...

Oh Linda.....i can't wait to see the finished project. I love that "moon gate"

Joi

Linda said...

Thanks all...I can't wait for the flowers now....I am just going to have to be patience!! LOL

Sunny said...

Oh, Linda, I think your moon-gate will be so cool. And I think morning glories will be so beautiful climbing on the gate. My favorite is the heavenly blue. I live in AZ and mine are coming up.
Can't wait to see the finished project!

Linda said...

I have grown the blue before...all over a porch...it was gorgeous...I can't wait for mine to start...:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...