Feb 9, 2013

DIY Weekend- Winter Storm Project

After getting about 29 inches of snow at our place from this week's winter storm, it was a good time to work on a project....The Hubby had an old mirror that I really loved.... It looked like it had been something behind a sideboard ......so after a cleaning & clearing, I touched up a few areas on it but nothing too major .....I though a narrow shelf would look good so I asked the Hubby to see what he could find & he never disappoints...I wanted to add similar flower designs that were on the mirror to the shelf to carry the theme down .....So.....
 Out came the supplies....
First I made a paper template to keep the flower sizes about the same...
I made the flowers & leaves from polymer clay, baked them , added some touches of black paint to highlight areas.... then glued them to a 6 X 52 shelf the Hubby had found ....He had rounded the ends for me so they curved in....then applied a heavy amount of dark walnut stain to match how dark the mirror was... I wiped off the excess from the flowers so it had an aged look to it... 


I put one coat of beeswax on & need to apply one more...& get one more bracket to hold it...but I wanted to see what it looked like up.....If you click on the pictures you get a larger view...


I left the top on from Christmas...It seems to work in my livingroom & the lights are homey looking....Did you know that placing a mirror on the wall opposite a window is good Feng Shui....Helps to deflect negative energy from coming in

Now to find something intersting to put on the shelf....
Hope everyone has a safe weekend...

6 comments:

Libellula Jewelry said...

Your flowers are beautiful and really compliment the mirror.

Sacred Keep said...

...♥...
fantastic and very creative...
blessings

turquoisemoon said...

I absolutely love this! You guys are so creative... Thanks for the feng shui tip!

Lady of the Woods said...

how beautiful! I love how creative you are....and good feng shui across the window yes!

Jema Rose said...

Looks beautiful, how creative!

I have lots of mirrors, I live in a tiny cottage, so I need mirrors to make the place look bigger, and it really works!

:)

Hugs & Blessings!

susanjmb said...

What a GREAT project and RESULTS for a cold, winter day! You inspire me! And thanks for the feng shui tip...I must follow up!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...