Dec 21, 2012

Winter Solstice

As Solstice is the return of increased sunlight bringing about rebirth, regeneration & renewal .....that speaks to my heart as a gardener .... the seed buried within the earth ready to regenerate in the spring is something I look forward to... so this aspect of it is very appealing to me... 


One thing I am going to do today is making evergreen smudges (courtesy of Marissa Moondaughter) to have ready for New Years....They have purifying properties so I can't think of a better way to start the new year... The Hubby & are hoping it will be clear enough to have a fire but if not we will light some candles... tomorrow we spend with family....I am returning to a more simpler way of celebrating....much more nature-based.....I think many people are....
It seems more subdued to me this year, things have become unbelievable commercialized to the point where it seems obscene.....so many people are very stressed out & unhappy....it should not be this way....but now because of the deaths of the little ones & their teachers in Connecticut,  it is too hard right now to be very jovial in light of the grief & sadness, not only here but around the world for any parent who has lost a child this year in a violent way.... so this seems to be a more profound & quieter way of marking the season...

So I wish everyone a Peaceful Solstice 

4 comments:

Libellula Jewelry said...

I agree that this year, the tone of celebration has been dialed back. It's my norm but I've been surprised by how many others are doing it, too (and even before the shootings).

I'm hoping that Americans are beginning to actually tire of the extremely conspicuous consumption. (I can dream--right?)

Linda said...

I hope so as well...It is really out of control... I know in my circle everyone is talking about cleaning out and downsizing...so hopefully it will catch on but we will see...I dream of it too...:)

Anonymous said...

Hi Linda,
It seems to me, too, that I've heard more people than usual complain about the holidays this year. They just want to get it over with. The media sends such mixed messages - we're supposed to spend and get the economy going... before we all head over the fiscal cliff... I think you have the right idea - we need to get back in touch with nature and ourselves, and then decide how to move forward. All the best to you and your family in 2013! Pam

Linda Wolf said...

One would think that after the last four years, we would have gotten the message to at least reexamine our spending habits. I have chosen to just be an observer of all this madness. I think we need to look at alternative ways to entertain ourselves other than shopping.

As a recently retired teacher of elementary school age children, this recent, horrible incident really hits close to home for me. I recall going through intruder drills with my students; thank God they were just drills.

Thank you for your always inspiring and thought provoking posts. Have a wonderful new year.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...