Dec 14, 2012

The Hobbit

"In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit. 


Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: 

it was a hobbit-hole, and that means comfort.

  It had a perfectly round door like a porthole, 

painted green, with a shiny yellow brass knob in the exact middle. 

The door opened on to a tube-shaped hall like a tunnel: a very comfortable tunnel without smoke, with panelled walls, and floors tiled and carpeted, provided with polished 

and lots and lots of pegs for hats and coats—
the hobbit was fond of visitors. 

The tunnel wound on and on, 
going fairly but not quite straight into the side of the hill


The Hill, as all the people for many miles round called it—
and many little round doors opened out of it, 

first on one side and then on another. No going upstairs for the hobbit: bedrooms, bathrooms, cellars, pantries (lots of these), wardrobes (he had whole rooms devoted to clothes), kitchens, dining-rooms, 

all were on the same floor, and indeed on the same passage. 

The best rooms were all on the left-hand side (going in), 
for these were the only ones to have windows,

deep-set round windows looking over his garden, 
and meadows beyond, sloping down to the river...."   JRR Tolkien




The Hobbit by JRR Tolkien

If you have never read this book ,please put it on your reading list...you will not be disappointed...The movie opens today....the Hubby  & I are going Christmas afternoon.... we are so excited to see it...The best part is this is only the first of THREE movies...so there will be more to look forward to....

For  all Hobbit fans, check out In a Hole in the Ground ..

( Photo credits: Unless otherwise noted  photos were taken from Tumblr & Pinterest)

3 comments:

Lady of the Woods said...

This should be a treat of sorts LOL, I was initially excited about this movie but in watching how its made I realize there will be no women or feminine energy in this movie and I find I'm allergic to all male energy especially when it involves trolls, violence, hairy dwarves etc....lots of gooey stuff for the guys I guess, but hardly anything for the ladies. In the entire Lord of the Rings series I found I was only enchanted when they had women and Elves in the scenes, all else was terribly ugly otherwise, violent, rough and dirty. I may wait for DVD. Let me know how you like it. lady

Rachel said...

I'm off to see The Hobbit this afternoon. Been looking forward to it for months. :-)

I'd love to live in a little hobbit house like that, especially the ones surrounded by flowers, so beautiful.

Linda said...

Enjoy the movie Rachel...I know I am looking forward to it...

Lady I agree there is much to the trilogy that is ugly & violent but I think that was the point of what Tolkien was trying to make people aware of tho I have heard he says he wasn't trying to say anything...I see the effects of war, the environmental destruction, the abuse of classes...it all has a voice...I agree the elves are a beautiful part of it but the overall issues cannot be overlooked...but after all of it there was a very happy ending...if only in our society....especially after the tragedies of these past two weeks...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...