Nov 11, 2012

To Our Veterans...

Their courage, their sacrifice & their service should never ever be forgotten from any war...Whether a Veteran or a Soldier who has given his life or an active Soldier today....my heartfelt thanks to all of them & their families not just today but EVERY DAY OF THE YEAR  our veterans should NEVER be forgotten...

When our soldiers serve this country, go into a combat zone...then our country owes them to ensure they are taken care of ...Even though a thank you & parade is all well & good...it has to be more than that.... because unfortunately for a majority, they are just beginning to find out how hard readjustment to civilian life is going to be......we need to ensure that they have safety nets....that they are never homeless, their injuries both physical & mental are taken care of as well as their families that support them... because when we send our soldiers into war it has a ripple effect...

Too many are quick to send our sons & daughters off to fight to bolster their puffed up chests of war mongering... It should also be noted that many of them have never served NOR will they ever do so.....One answer I received ... " that is for other people to do, not me".....I know a few who feel that many of our soldiers do not deserve to have a disability benefits.. I believe they refer to them as entitlements!!!! " Where do I stand in line for a free check" one said.......FREE.....Believe me I will tell you that those "free checks" were earned in ways these people "don't have time" to listen, without judgement , some of the experiences our soldiers have gone thorough or seen.. It is not easy to hear but it is necessary for them...to heal...to move forward......

I have seen Veterans trashed in public because of their past behavior...those that do so are despicable because they have sat in judgement while failing miserably to look at all the facts...Our government has been a huge disappointment in looking at the long term effects of what happens to our troops when sent into an environment like that...To see a Veteran standing on a street corner asking for help, for a Veteran to be homeless....For a Veteran to commit suicide, read about it here, because he can no longer bear the horrific images that fill his mind day & night...images I might add stay for a lifetime...as well as those Veterans who are now serving a prison sentences....is indicative of a nation who opens fire on a crowd & walks away from the scene denying they had any part in it & so there is no need to help the injured.....

As far as I am concerned war should be outlawed ...made illegal...Because the fact is....they are illegal....they are technically conflicts not wars...but it won't be...to even support it as the very last  resolution will keep the problems that metastasize like a cancer for the soldier, civilians & country 
As Edwin Starr wrote " War ....What is it good for ...absolutely nothing".....he was absolutely right.....

I honor the Veteran & Soldiers today by talking about the things that everyone should think about!!! I vent like this because I want people to think about the effects of battle.... I want them to think about saying something hurtful & hateful to or about a Veteran...especially those who have been in a combat zone because they have endured & suffered that which we will never know...Thank you everyone for taking time to listen to what I had to say...

A special thanks today & every day always with so much Love & Pride to my Veteran, the Hubby & my Solider, my son Aaron....

I love you both so much... 

3 comments:

Amanda said...

Beautifully said, Linda. My husband is an Army vet, served in Operation Desert Storm, and has never received one benefit for his service in the war or the military. Was never able to get his GI Bill to go to college, no help with medical bills that he has acquired due to all the shots he received during training, exposure to gas chambers, etc. He now has a compromised immune system, develops serious infections from very minor things (almost lost his arm a couple of years ago because of an infection from a cut on his finger and was hospitalized for 5 days). The VA doctor told him that even though he signed papers refusing certain shots, he most likely received them when he thought he was consenting to something else! They fight for our freedoms, and our government and citizens treat them like dirt. I love our veterans!

Tricia said...

OH LInda, Yes yes yes! Thank you for venting or in my opinion telling it like it is! I am the daughter of a WWII combat vet and I understand the ripple down effect of being in a war. And as bad as that on was at least the troops had the full backing of the public. I have felt for a long time that if you are a combat veteran then you should basically have a free ride the rest of your life. Because the price they have paid for that "free ride" is greater than any of us will ever understand. Please tell your hubby that I am forever indebted to him and he has my forever thank yous. Also to Amanda in the above quote I am so very grateful for these tremendous men such as her husband. I am embarrassed beyond what I can express at his treatment. I doubt there is much I can do but I hear your story and I am so sorry. To both of you ladies thank you for being loves to these men and the sacrifices that you have made. You too also have my gratefulness!
Most sincerely,
Tricia

Suzanne said...

Very well said

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...