Oct 8, 2012

Bohemian Decor...

One of my  followers asked me for advice on decorating the Bohemian way..I tried emailing her but could not go through so hopefully she will see this... I was very flattered but I am in no way a designer.... but I will share something that I read in a magazine back in the 70's that influenced my approach to decorating... It said that developing a style is simple...Just put up only the things you love...not what is the latest rage or style...just what you love...it will reflect who you are as a person...your personality will be evident when people walk in...


 Over the years that has evolved & changed...it has to if you do...I feel like I have come full circle to my hippie roots...Beaded curtains, Baskets & Bells, Macrame & Mirrors, Antiques & Wrought Iron, Pillows & Lace, Plants & ~~Patchouli~~ all have a place in my home ..& still I keep evolving...I display the items that say comfort...that say I am an individual...I do not follow the crowd...which is what makes a Bohemian style so great....For me right now it is color, patterns & textures...


This also ties in with the clutter clearing....those things that I have outgrown, that no longer reflect who I am is going...this week.... they are off to new homes for someone else to enjoy...with the exception of a few things, I want things out where I can see them & enjoy them... I am by no means a minimalist, but I want to keep only that I truly love & enjoy....that uplift not bring down...


Getting inspiration from others is in abundance now thanks to the internet & Pinterest...
Here are a few photos that inspire me....







sou







The great thing about Bohemian style is it is all your own...unique...risk-taking...try anything once if you don't like it take it down or move it out.....thinking outside the box... 
as Madonna would say...Express Yourself!!

3 comments:

Bohemian said...

Well said my Friend! I do Believe that Bohemian is more a Lifestyle than a way of Decorating, so expressing your personality and lifestyle in how you Style your Home is crucial to feeling at Home and comfortable in your surroundings. Like you I have found that lately I have come Full Circle too and back to my Boheme' Hippie Gypsy Style Roots. It is where I am most comfortable even though over the years I have experimented with Style and Decorating... I'll try almost anything once, twice if I like it. *Winks* But I do find that what I tend to LOVE has not changed all that much because it does reflect who we are at our Core. Like you I am in a major edit~purge mode to rid myself of the excess that has accumulated or that I have outgrown or never truly LOVED, so it was merely a brief interlude and phase and now I'm done with it.

I Hope the one who asked for your advice Shares her Bohemian interpretation after she gets it all Styled the way she Loves it!?

Blessings from the Arizona Desert... Dawn... The Bohemian

Linda said...

I love your style Dawn...you are definitely a free spirit & willing to try anything...that is what goes to the core about Bohemia style..Just a reflection of who we are at the core... Thanks for enhancing what I said my friend :)

Lady of the Woods said...

I agree Linda, just put up what you love for that unique expression as opposed to a fabricated look. I love it. Today after 10 years I'm buying the paint to update my room to my new preferences which I more white and ethereal feeling with lots of crystals and silver touches. I should be done in 2 weeks. hugs.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...