Sep 18, 2012

Harvest

I love this time of the year...the food in the garden is reaching its peak & there is something comforting about putting up your own food to use on those cold winter days.....I think working in harmony with Nature to grow these plants makes you appreciate not only the food but Nature itself. Your well being is dependent on her...

I tried something new & dehydrated Swiss Chard this year instead of freezing it... 

I want to become less dependent on a freezer for food storage...This will be nice to throw in soups...
 The last bunch of Oregano for the year...
The plants are spreading so when
all dried I was very happy with how much I ended up with....

Two pints & almost a quart...

& the cute little label courtesy of the Graphics Fairy

The basil was outstanding this year....
what a difference some good compost can make...

Parsley & Cilantro 

My cukes did not do as well this year...the plants were huge but the fruit was sparse so I need to find a new place to plant next year...but I did get enough of them to get a batch of Bread & Butter Pickles....So I thought I would share my favorite recipe...



Bread & Butter Pickles

15 cups sliced pickling Cucumbers
3 onions sliced ( I like Vadalia Onion) 
1/4 cup pickling salt
4 cups cracked ice

In a 2 gallon crock, place the ingredients and mix well...
Place a small plate on top & weigh down.... I put a gallon vinegar bottle on top...
then I cover it with a towel... I usually let this set for the afternoon on the kitchen table  
hen before bed I take the vinegar bottle off  & put the crock in the refrigerator overnight...
The next morning drain the cuke mixture well & begin heating the water in the Canner.

In a large pot mix:
2 1/2 cups vinegar
2 1/2 cups sugar
3/4 tsp Turmeric
1/2 tsp Celery seed
1 Tblsp Mustard seed

Add cukes & cook over medium low heat. Bring almost to a boil but not a boil!
Remove from heat. Spoon into sterilized jars & process for 10 minutes in a 
hot water bath... This will make 6 pints of pickles... 

These are yummy so enjoy!! Now on to the tomatoes!!


11 comments:

Linda Starr said...

I think swiss chard is really good for us, and I also know it tastes good too.

Linda said...

It is one of my favorites but I don;t like it frozen so I thought this would be better to throw in soups...:)

turquoisemoon said...

You have been a very busy gal!!! I'm impressed!

the wild magnolia said...

we are still traveling. in tennessee until thursday, then to Maggie Valley for a whole month.

still wanting to eat healthy, which we do, but end up eating stuff that isn't good mixed in. eek.

good job.

Amanda said...

I have been so busy these last few weeks canning and preserving from the garden, and still have more to do. (We should have enough tomatoes to get us to next year's garden!) I absolutely love that I will be eating well during the colder months, all from my garden. Reject industrial food!! lol

Your basil looks amazing!! That has always been something I struggled with growing. And my cukes didn't do so well this year, either.

Gayle said...

WOW!! I remember when you posted that you had just started those herb seeds........love seeing
what you did when them. Drying the chard......great idea.

Ashling said...

Congratulations on such a bountiful harvest, and kudos for actually utilizing so well!

Lady of the Woods said...

you are just too cool. I've been on hiatus too, and came back to find a new blogger interface yuck that I don't like and have to learn all over again. But love to hear from you and hubs. :D

Tami Rebekah said...

Lovely!!

Alicia Sotherland said...

XXOO
Miss ya!

Linda said...

Miss you too Al... Hurry back!!! <3

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...