Sep 26, 2012

"Chickens" of the Corn

I will be back next week with Wednesday Women so I thought this week I would post a Chicken Chronicles post. It has been a while since I posted about the girls so I thought it was time to update....Summer is over & it was hard on my girls...I have only 6 left...After Chicklet died, I lost two more to old age, then recently lost one to a neighbor's dog which I unfortunately saw......I had also lost the two Roosters to predators quite a while ago...wandering too far from home... So things have gotten sadly quiet around here...

The girls have become a very tight little group & I am spoiling them a bit more...
The corn garden is getting a clean-out next week 
so I opened it up for a playground for them 

& they are having fun!!

 & talking up a storm.....it is nice to hear them so happy...

 nibbling on the little corn cobs that are left on the stalks...


 loosening the soil......

  eating up the bugs....
 & tearing down some stalks too....

they are great little clean -up gardeners...

So here in a Maine garden dwell some "Children" of the Corn... 
I wonder if Stephen King would agree...:)


8 comments:

Amanda said...

I'm so sorry to have lost so many beauties. :( We lost 4 last year, and one this year. I've become very protective of my chickens. Some of mine are molting, losing a lot of feathers at night. I panic every morning when I go in the coop, counting twice to make sure they are all there.

Your girls are beautiful!! They look very happy scratching in the corn. :)

Linda said...

Mine are molting too...so egg production is down but it is a good rest for them...You do become more protective after losing so many...They are my "kids" <3

turquoisemoon said...

I still miss the adventures of Chicklet. :(

Rachel said...

They do look very happy in there, nibbling on the corn.

So sorry to hear you lost more after Chicklet.

Linda Starr said...

They're in chicken heaven in the corn rows.

Luthien said...

how wonderful!! sorry you had lost so many tho. we dun get to see live chickens around here anymore ... the only chickens that some kids see nowadays are on the supermarket shelves. sad ... but true. so it's really nice to see a post like this, and knowing that you still try to live "naturally".

laoi gaul~williams said...

they do look happy despite the sad losses you have all experienced this year.
i would love to have chickens and ducks but our garden is just too small

suziqu's thread works said...

Hi Linda - my first visit here!
I love to see chickens on other people's blogs - these are a happy little group.
We have about 18 in our very large backyard too and they bring us so much joy and take care of so many of the bugs like coddling moth in our orchard!
My ideals are very similar to yours!
Have a gareat Sunday!
Suzy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...