Aug 9, 2012

Wednesday Women- The Women of Woodstock

That's right...it is getting closer to the anniversary so you have an idea of what you will be seeing for upcoming posts...So I thought today I would start off by honoring the Women of Woodstock.... Though their numbers were small, their impact on that day was powerful & long-lasting...

Joan today 
still singing & ever the activist...



This amazingly talented woman died from an overdosed over a year later on October 4, 1970 at the age of 27....RIP 




Grace today...
Hippie Bohemian Artist...

Melanie Safka


Melanie today 
Still the Hippie Bohemian singer!

 Nancy Nevins of Sweetwater

A little trivia about her...
Nevins’ car accident occurred on December 8, 1969, Jim Morrison’s birthday; the same day John Lennon would be shot and killed eleven years later. It left her with some brain damage & destroyed one of her vocal cords.... 

Nancy today 
& what she has been up to musically...


Rose Simpson  & Christina "Licorice" McKechnie..
I couldn't find any recent pictures of them....

Licorice basically "disappeared" after 1990 & reportedly is living in California tho that cannot be confirmed...she is alive & well but prefers to live in obscurity...
Rose is to date now living contentedly in a cottage near Aberystwyth, England


A big thanks to these ladies of Woodstock & their part in this amazing historical event...

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW, soror, this is soooo cool! God, I wish I hadn't been so stoned when I was at Woodstock! But I do remember these women .... but your "now" pic of Grace Slick blew my mind! And Melanie .... I love her hair! And Nevin's trivia stuff ... where do you dig up this neat stuff??!! Awesome site you have here, Linda ~~ I LOVE it!! xxxxxooooxx :) Lura

Suzanne said...

Oh what a wonderful post!!!!!!!! I think they aged so very well.

Wicked Faerie Queen said...

Wonderful post. I just watched Woodstock the other day while I was working in my studio. As I sat barefoot, painting and watching and listening to the music it was as if nothing had changed, and I guess for me nothing has.

It was a concert that defined my generation. The strength and power of the women who sang at Woodstock showed the world that women were as equal as men (something of course we already knew) and that the words and voices of the songs could change everything.

Watching Janis in the film and knowing now that she was a shy, insecure person broke my heart. Grace Slick recently said in an interview that she wished she had embraced her more as a friend.

It is wonderful to see that some of these women are still creative and free spirited today.

Thanks for the lovely memories this morning. And thanks for the music!

Peace, love and harmony,
Sue

Gayle said...

I always loved Melanies voice. Glad she looks so good.

turquoisemoon said...

Ooh thanks for the memories!!! They were/still are beautiful. xoxox

Teresa said...

How interesting! You don't often hear about the women of Woodstock but this is a nice glimpse into where they are now. Looks like they haven't changed much!

Linda Starr said...

Those were the days, thanks for the memories.

laoi gaul~williams said...

fantastic thank you! i always say i wish i had been born twenty years ealier so i could have experienced woodstock, monteray and newport...but i always remember derek taylor saying that those who were born in 1967 stand out as being different so i always carry that in my heart :)

Linda said...

Thanks for all the wonderful comments ladies...& Lura You know I live the experience vicariously through you <3 <3....Glad you all enjoyed this nostalgia trip...it is always fun...stay tuned for more...

and Laoi...I agree...even those born in the 60's will standout if they choose to be,just like you Hon :)

Bohemian said...

Great Post... I like that all of the Gals have stayed True to self and keep doing their own thing. Sadly not all got the privilege to grow old & keep contributing their Beautiful Music and Artistic Talents for generations to enjoy. Some Artists can be tortured Souls though so perhaps their outcome was best for them in the long run? But I would have liked to imagine the Music Janis might have Created at this Season of Life... I'm quite sure she's still be a Rebel with a Cause! *Winks*

Dawn... The Bohemian

Linda said...

I have no doubt Janis would still be a Wild child!! :) I wonder too what she & Hendrix, Morrison would have created in this time...but what we do have from them is long-lasting & timeless...
:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...