Aug 3, 2012

DIY Friday- Homemade Mustard


So tomorrow is National Mustard Day!!  
Who knew...personally I think it is great...I love mustard..especially the spicy kind....
Ever try it on a Grilled Cheese sandwich...delicious....introduced the hubby 
to that & he loves it...



In honor of this special day, 
here is a recipe from Design Sponge... 
I wanted to make it this weekend 
but I am not going to have time 
so hopefully this week....

Makes 2 cups

1 cup dry mustard
1 cup cider vinegar
1/3 cup honey
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper


1. Combine all ingredients in a small pot.

2. Whisk to blend and bring to a simmer over medium heat for 5–6 minutes.

3. When the mustard is thoroughly heated, ladle it into sterilized jars (leave 1/2-inch of head space if you plan to water-bath can the mustard).

4. Either refrigerate the mustard and consume within several weeks or water-bath process it for 10 minutes and use within one year.

There is also a Basic Country recipe here...

From  All About Thyme:

Did you know that mustard is medicinal....it stimulates the appetite as well as digestion & blood circulation...You can make a poultice to help with back pain & chest congestions...I have used it this way & it works great...Native Americans sniffed the powdered seeds it to ease headaches & colds...

On the magical side...the seeds are spread to ward off evil...or to keep the fairies & spirits away from barn animals!! European mothers used to sew the seeds into the hem of the bride's dress to ensure fertility as well as get the passion going in the groom!!
                         

It doesn't stop there....here are some more uses....


Soothe Sore Throats Gargle with this mixture:

1 tablespoon of mustard seed
Juice from 1/2 lemon
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon clear honey
1 1/4 cups boiling water
Cover it and let it sit for about 15 minutes before gargling.



To relax muscles draw a bath and add 2 tablespoons of mustard powder, a few drops of favorite essential oil like rosemary plus a few spoonfuls of Epsom salts...enjoy...

For a burn...Run the affected area under cool running water, and spread mustard over it. It instantly dulls the pain & prevents blisters from occuring....

Fights cancer...it has AITC which is believed to keep cancer from spreading possibly curing it...

Massage mustard oil in your hair.,.,.leave it all day for a deep condition....

Soothe the feet in a basin of hot water with a couple tablespoons of mustard powder for a half hour...

It also deodorizes smelly dishes or bottles & removes grease from pans....

Spread it in your garden to kill weeds & rub some mustard on a tin pie pan to keep deer away...they hate the smell...

& for those of you who are interested in the use of Wild Mustard & its identification !

                                      source

So have a Happy Mustard Day tomorrow everyone!! 
& kudos to Mother Nature for supplying another wonderful plant for us....


9 comments:

Babylon Sisters said...

I love mustard! Thanks for all the great info - going to try it on grilled cheese today...

Ashling said...

Mustard Day??? Wow, who knew? Recipes sound great!

Barbara said...

Wow, I had no idea mustard was such a nutritional powerhouse - I adore it. There is a restaurant nearby (Peter Christian's in New London, NH) that is famous for its spicy mustard. It's out of this world! Wonder if they know there is an official Mustard Day...hmm...

Thanks for the recipes!
xx

Barbara said...

...here's a link if you're interested in trying their mustard:
http://peterchristiansmustard.com/

They ship everywhere. It's worth it. :)

Linda said...

Thanks Barbara...I will check this out... :)

Medieval Muse said...

I thought I was the only person on the planet who loved mustard on grilled cheese! Yes!!!
You've presented many other uses that I didn't know and I truly thank you for those.

In my native WV, wild mustard grows in fields and along country roads providing great bursts of color.

Jema Rose said...

I love mustard!
We have a special kind of mustard in the county I live in, and I also love the mustard from Dijon.

Glad you liked my lampshade!
I think I'll make another one.

I still have a lot of pain
and I am very tired,
but I think it's because I've had a sort of B-12 vitamins that did not contain enough vitamin B12 so that it would help me.

I'll pick up others
at the pharmacy today,
and hope to soon feel better!

Hugs, Jenny

Angela said...

I've just happened upon your blog while clicking through a maze of art blogs and am happy to have found it! Thanks for the mustard recipe, who knew it had so many other uses, lol. I look forward to seeing more of your posts :-)

Linda said...

Glad to see so many mustard lovers here...and to find someone else who loves it on Grilled Cheese too...:)

Glad everyone enjoyed this...<3

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...