Jun 3, 2012

The Beginning...

The start of the Moss Garden began this week... I have been reading up on the construction waited for a rainy day to begin the moss collecting... I sure did not have to wait long... 


I began by making a focal point...a basic visual to build around...

 So I found a Gnarly old trunk & just leaned some pieces of bark together making a temporary roof...When I am done, the roof will be a little lower and covered in moss...I want it to be very subtle but yet something will catch your eye to make you notice it...

This area  for the moss garden has a huge John Cabot Rose....It is a Canadian rose & does exceptionally well here in the North...This has a tunnel underneath it into the garden....The blooms are already opening early & soon it will be covered with hundreds of roses...

 Then I found this gem covered with mossy mushrooms in the woods behind our home....so....

 With my ever faithful sidekick Chicklet, 
we brought it up to the Moss/Faerie Garden....

Then it was off to harvest some moss...using a  spatula to lift the moss was something I read about & worked really well....
 

Then we laid down the moss....
Chicklet is a good worker  :)

Then she helped me push the moss down....
(I am beginning to wonder if she thinks 
she is people not a chicken :)

                   So here is the beginning...
I am hoping to have the areas around the violets filled with moss this week... 

This is a really good year in Maine for building this type of garden with all the rain we are having...
  
I can see new moss spores coming up already....

The hubby is now in on the excitement of building the homes...I knew the minute I put the visual in the garden he would see it & get in on the project...He is already full of amazing ideas...this is turning into a full fledged village...very subtle but very magical....He found this amazing trunk down in the woodlands behind our home...It is very dry & ready to go over...we are going to rescue it &make at least three homes....Fantastic Faerie Homes....


I also want to thank Inspire Bohemia for posting a link to PicMonkey...a fantastic photo editing site...I am going to have some fun with my photos now!
Hope you enjoy the journey with us this summer!

Senses Shared
See: the deep green of a Maine woodland forest
Feel: the softness of moss
Hear: the rain falling
Taste: a cup of Earl Grey while curled up with blankets on my couch

5 comments:

Lady of the Woods said...

oh
My GOD
How freakin adorable is Chicklet pushing that moss down!!!!!

"bite"

well I can see now why you are sooooo engrossed in your garden! what is it about moss that is so captivating like baby kittens and things you just can't walk away from! LOL when I made my Moss Forest Floor (I had to buy mine!) I couldn't stand walking away from it, I kept going back to look at it. Now I have to keep it covered with 2 chinese umbrellas for shade LOL....like prim and delicate ladies who cannot abide the sun! LOL....can't wait to see the rest. I didn't know you were so artistic....my blind.....that spot is already magical!

Linda said...

We are having so much rain right now I have moss growing on the dirt road!!! I am going to take advantage ...buttermilk moss milkshakes...YUM LOL

laoi gaul~williams said...

oh how fantastic! i cannot wait to see it all develop.
i am obsessed with ferns-the actual plants and mythology and think moss would be great in our garden :)

Alicia Sotherland said...

wish we could grow moss :( I will live vicariously through you ...I just love how green it is where you live!!! amazing to me. Being in Southern California we are so limited here garden wise.
Your fairy garden is already beautiful.. I can't wait to see the finished project!!

Rachel said...

Wow you have such a beautiful and magical garden, I can't wait to see your moss garden progress, it's going to be wonderful.

Rachel x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...