May 23, 2012

Wednesday Women- Mollyockett

Mollyockett was an Abenaki healing woman who lived in the western foothills of Maine...I remember Grampa telling me how she would stop by to visit his grandfather who lived in Bethel..this would around the late 1700's ....She would visit, have something to eat, tell a few stories, give him some herbs then it was off to the next visit... 


 The pictures  here show how she may have looked based on the descriptions of people who knew her..
She was an herbalist & healer...she is famous for saving the life of Hannibal Hamlin, Abraham Lincoln's vice president, when he was a baby...
she arrived at his home in Paris Hill to find him very sick..she administered her healing skills & saved his life...

She traveled along the Androscoggin River from South Paris to Fryburg to Bethel to Canton...this was the part of Maine I grew up in ...Her christian name was Marie Agatha but she pronounced in "Mali Agit " which people thought was Molly Ockett...


She truly is an unforgettable character...the stories about her are numerous...so I will direct you to the Bethel Historical Society & the Wabanaki site to read the account of her life which I promise you is very entertaining and interesting...


Molly died picking blueberries on White Cap Mt in Andover Maine....a place familiar to many of us from that area for the wild Maine blueberries that grow there...I remember spending many happy times picking blueberries with my family there....I can't think of a more wonderful place to pass away especially for Molly....it truly is a beautiful area...She is buried in the Andover cemetery....no one is quite sure how old she was when she died...some guess it could be any where from 73 to 93....whatever the age Molly left her mark here in Maine.......

The small blue antique book my grandfather gave me about her life will be passed on to my kids...she may be gone but will never be forgotten.....

The two sites that I highly recommend are the following...



I hope you enjoy her story....


5 comments:

Linda said...

and why am I missing posts????

☮Bohemian Mamaw☮ said...

really fascinating stuff here! i always love american indian stories!

Linda said...

me too I especially love this one because I heard about her from Grampa so much...:)

Rachel said...

She sounds like such an interesting woman, great blog post.

Linda said...

Thanks Rachel glad you enjoyed it...:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...