May 25, 2012

Lullaby & Good Night...

There is nothing like a good night's sleep but in today's society it can be elusive with all the different forms of stress...

One way to reduce the stress in order to get a restful sleep is to create an environment that is conducive to relaxation...
Apartment Therapy has list of 6 Simple Changes 
to help you sleep better...

1. A bath before bedtime with lavender essential oil added...Lavender is a wonderful herb for sleep...I add a couple drops to my pillows or add a sleep pillow inside the pillow case.......

2. Creating white noise..... 
my fan is essential at night....
it is a good way to cancel out any outside noise 
& I love the air circulating...
Also the Hubby can play his drums in 
the basement & I do not hear a sound...

3. Cooling the room....turn your thermostat down...
you sleep better in a room with cool air...
this is where the fan will help as well...

4. Have an extra blanket for warmth....with a cooler room you will need something extra so make it comfy and beautiful.... As the article says the feeling of being "swaddled" can be very calming for the nerves...

5. A small bit of food about an hour or two before bedtime like a handful of granola, plain pasta, or dry toast can make you sleepy...must be the carbohydrates...


I will add one thing I do to creating a calm restful place....Have it a  technology free area....


No TV, no radio, no computer, no phone...
relaxing or meditation music is allowed tho...


6. Finally, make sure the bedroom is very dark...You can add curtains that block light...close doors... anything that will darken the room...Our bedroom is on the north side of the house so it is naturally low light & with any thing over the window it makes it very dark & a great place to sleep....

If you haven't tried any of these, please do so...it made a big difference for us when I made some of these changes years ago...this room has become a haven for us...

Sleep Well!


Photo credits: pinterest.com, bohemian nations, moon to moonapartment therapy

5 comments:

turquoisemoon said...

Very good advise. I do all of these, with the exception of the small amount of food. For me, anyway, small amount can become large amount...hahaha

Lady of the Woods said...

these are great yes and I do them too. My new shabby chic bedding I do have to say with real feather pillows and the euro shams are heavenly and I am sleeping better! I never knew pillows could make a difference in the way one sleeps or not. It also looks dreamy beautiful. But I agree with turquoise above when a little bit of food becomes alot LOL because of the flavas! like yesterday I over did it, yummy as it was it hurt! LOL

Barbara said...

These tips are great, and I follow many of them (use my iPad in bed, though! bad girl). I'm still a "burn the midnight oil" kind of person, but I've made my bed a restful haven. And a fan going all year is a must with me, too! :)

I've also found that turning off all the lights in the house when the sun sets and using just candles makes me sleepy earlier.

Alicia Sotherland said...

Man.. I am doing everything wrong.. no wonder I don't sleep well... I eat too much before I go to bed.. I have a comforter but I get too hot with my hot flashes.. my hubby snores so I sleep with ear plugs.. I have lace for curtains which keeps it light.. I have noisy neighbors and I ran out of my lavender oil. Boy I've got a lot to do before I go to bed tonite.Thanks for all the tips Linda... I am looking forward to not being so grumpy in the morning.

Linda said...

yes I have to agree about the food...they were talking about a handful....for me it would be more like out of hand!!! LOL I have stopped eating anything after 6....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...