May 9, 2012
I have returned to drinking Soy Milk but there is an array of different types of milks that you can make yourself that are healthy & safe...one is coconut milk and I came across the following recipe from Mountain Rose Herbs...
Great site to visit by the way...
If you have never had this milk, you need to try it...
you won't be disappointed...
I love coconut milk! My only problem is that I can’t buy it from a brand that I trust. Most refrigerated cartons have way too many strange ingredients that just shouldn’t be in coconut milk and the cans are lined with BPA. So, what’s a coconut milk loving gal to do? Make her own! Let me tell you, it is super yummy! Better than any coconut milk you can possibly buy! Here’s the recipe…
• 2 cups organic unsweetened shredded coconut flakes
(<–Mountain Rose Herbs’ is the best!)
• 2 cups hot (not boiling) water
• 2 cups water
• 1 teaspoon organic pure vanilla extract
• 2 tablespoons local honey
1. In a large bowl, soak the coconut in hot (not boiling) water for about 20 minutes.
2. Pour soaked coconut with its water, the remaining water, vanilla, and honey into the blender. Blend on high until mixed well.
3. In a large bowl, strain the liquid through a cheesecloth or nut milk bag. Compost the pulp.
4. Store milk in mason jars (my favorite!) and place them in the refrigerator. It should keep for about 3 days.
5. Serve and enjoy!
This coconut milk is delicious with a swirl of cinnamon and cayenne, matcha powder, cacao powder, poured in smoothies, or used to make spicy chai! Leave out the honey and vanilla if you want to try it in savory dishes, curries, soups, etc