May 18, 2012

DIY Friday - Mushrooms

We made some mushrooms...

I have looked everywhere for wooden mushrooms & either they are too expensive 
or not what I want 

SO...
I had this vision of a kind of magical mushroom... 
I told the Hubby & it began...

He cut out and shaped the tops & stems 
on the belt sander from part of a slab
that came from a wood mill he had years ago...
(which makes these even more special)

It started out with only the small mushroom & "mushroomed" to four of them!  
You know  I had to throw that in!!! lol

 I carved spirals in the tops &
 stained them with coffee....
rubbing extra into the carved lines...



 Then I applied a "non-toxic" waterproof 
craft varnish as these will be outside...


Here they are in three different stages 
of development...

 I left one of them with just stain 
as there will be **someone** sitting on it...




The Hubby cut some holes in this chunk of wood
 for the mushrooms to sit in 
while I did my art work....

So the next step is to find a really unique looking log that these will be permanently attached to!!

Of course Chicklet had to get in 
on the photo shoot.... lol

I am so fortunate to have such a talented hubby!!
He can do anything... 
We have so much fun doing these projects together....
All I have to do is mention what I have in mind
& the brainstorming begins...

This is the start of our Fairy Garden...
I will be sharing what we create over the summer...
  Hope this inspires some of you ...
Have a great weekend...


11 comments:

Jema☽⚪☾Rose said...

They look amazing!!!

: )

Hugs, Jenny

Zara said...

They are cute! Happy mushrooming! :))

turquoisemoon said...

Too cool! Ooh and I'm really growing fond of Chicklet.

Babylon Sisters said...

Magical! You guys are so talented!

☮Bohemian Mamaw☮ said...

Those are adorable! Love them♥ You two did a great job.

Shawna said...

I love the mushrooms! You guys rock.

Barbara said...

Oh, Linda, I LOVE this!! Wish I had your DIY talents!

Kathy said...

Awww...I love these! They are
so cute....

scarlett clay said...

Linda these are SO awesome! I love the stain, they look magical and the varying sizes are so perfect. LOVE them!!

Amanda said...

Oh, how sweet these are!! You have one amazing hubby. :)

I love the idea of a fairy garden. The kids would absolutely love it. I may just have to start one this year. Thanks for the inspiration!

Alicia Sotherland said...

I love these mushrooms. They look so natural. I have never really cared for the bright colored ones. These look like they belong in nature. Beautiful Linda and a very talented hubby too!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...