Apr 23, 2012

Violet Syrup

I made some Violet syrup this weekend........ I collected 2 cups of the flowers...


I used the recipe here...and the final result was a cup of this delicious syrup....and it is good...I had some in my peppermint tea...


Though initially it was done to serve as a treat during the summer, this is also quite a healer...
The leaves & flowers are used for colds, sore throats, lung inflammation, chest congestion.

The syrup can be used for coughs & colds & also has anti-septic, anti-inflamotory laxative & expectorant properties.

The flowers have sedative properties and can treat headaches insomnia, dizziness & exhaustion...

Recently it has been proven to be Anti HIV as well as a Cancer fighter because of it's blood cleasnsing properties....very good news!!



Viola Odorata is a flower associated with love....It is easy to see why as the leaves & flower petals are heart shaped....You can read some of the myths & stories associated with the Violet here


source

Empress Josephine planted many on her French garden and it was said her wedding dress was embroidered with violets...
Napoleon died wearing a locket of violets from Josephine's grave.




Violets are also great ground cover..low-growing and dark green all summer....though some consider it a weed (I do not), it is a beautiful one...

I got my plants from my in-laws and it started with a couple of plants...a few years later & they are  everywhere.....each year I transplant the little flower somewhere new then it spreads.....It is nice to walk along & spot a color of blue-purple in the landscape..



A violet by a mossy stone
Half-hidden from the eye!-
Fair as a star, when only one
Is shining in the sky.

                           
William Wordsworth



8 comments:

Linda Starr said...

Oh that sounds so wonderful and looks delicious. I used to grow violets when I was a child, loved seeing them here.

Amanda said...

Looks so beautiful!

I was hoping to make some this year, but I only have them growing wild in my yard. Last year they were everywhere. This year, not so much. I should probably just plant some. I love how you have them tucked here and there - just randomly scattered about.

Plants are such wonderful healers - body, mind, and spirit. :)

Alicia Sotherland said...

I don't know if we have that out here in california.. I will have to check it out..
The syrup looks beautiful.. I would love to just put out around the house for decoration!!

Ashling said...

Totally awesome--who knew??? And how utterly gorgeous; I'd be reluctant to use it, wanting it to shine in the sunlight of a clear wimdow instead. But I may just have to see how many violets I can round up!!

Linda said...

LOL I agree I had it set in the window for quite awhile enjoying the gorgeous color of nature but it is better in the frig...:)

My Grama's Soul said...

Linda....I love violets although I have NEVER been able to grow one. Violet syrup sounds divine.

xo

Jo

Barbara said...

That looks AMAZING! What a luscious color, and I'm sure wonderfully healthy....
xx

Luthien said...

wow! that jar of violet syrup looks so beautiful and delicious and well ... magical!! how lovely!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...