Apr 28, 2012

DIY Friday- Milagros Cross Redo

I am a day late but I have a good reason....
I bought this cross on Ebay a few years ago.. 
It was $7....I couldn't pass it up 
especially when it was 16" by 24" and loaded with Milagros...
they can be pretty expensive buying them separately...
So I started to pull the pieces off..then remembered to take a picture...
 The color was horrible and the Milagros were coated with a thick black paint almost like tar.... Most of the them were actually silver!!!


After a good cleaning, I made a template &
 laid the milagros out 
similar to the way it was originally....
 I sanded the cross down just enough to remove the build-up & repainted it black with milk paint...
Then I started to reconstruct it...But something wasn't right...So I decided to go a different route....

 I took the large heavy Milagros pieces (in the pic above) & put them aside to do another project... I decided to use a large Mexican silver heart I bought years ago as the centerpiece... I threw the template out & placed the small Milagros where I wanted... 

Now it felt right.....



I think it came out beautifully...so did the hubby....



After I put it together I gave it a good coat of black Bee's Wax to help "glue" the pieces (along with the nails) a bit more permanently as well as to protect the piece... then buffed it out a few times as it dried.....


I love these crosses and have collected a few 
& have given them as gifts... this is so nice to add to my collection...especially considering how large this cross is...
Putting it together was a wonderful experience as well... 
I recommend it highly...

A Milagros Cross ( milagros meaning miracles) is designed so that as you add the tiny pieces to the cross you thank God for the blessings in your life. It focuses your mind on them...
Family, friends, animals, food...
overcoming diseases, even addictions.. 

The hubby wants to make me a wooden cross so I can make another one...that would make it very special to have his energy a part of the piece...So time to start gathering some tiny milagros for it...in the meantime on to the next project!!

Have a wonderful weekend everyone!

8 comments:

My Grama's Soul said...

Linda....that cross is so beautiful....I can understand why you wanted to share it with us.
I love the word "milagro" in Spanish....in fact we had a boat named MILAGRO at one time in our life....had many great memories and "miracles" on that vessel.

xo

Jo

Jema☽⚪☾Rose said...

STUNNING!!!

Hugs, Jenny

elizabeth said...

Wonderful. The big Milagro from your stash is a just right addition. Really makes it. What a great find made better by you.

Donna said...

Linda, that cross is so beautiful!! I share the love of crosses with you. I can't wait to see your next one. Great job!!!

Gayle said...

I love milagros too,
What a great redo Linda.

◄Bohemian Mamaw► said...

Wow! These crosses are gorgeous! Just wanted to let you know my blog button is now fixed and fully functioning if you wanna come retrieve it and try it again. Thanks.

turquoisemoon said...

Gee...I almost missed this post. Great job!!! Love milagro crosses...

Kathy said...

You were right, great buy. I love your finish cross. It holds my all time favorite love in the center. I love anything with the sacred heart. Thanks for sharing, I have enjoyed checking out your blog, I love all your interest, I repin a photo from your pinterest. Thanks for being so creative. Drop by for a visit, Kathy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...