Mar 28, 2012

Wednesday Women: Cancer Care Center of York County


This is the Cancer Care Center....Words to describe this place...light, airy, peaceful, laughter, homey ( there is a huge stone fireplace when you walk in) earthy uplifting & safe...
A huge part of my life during 2006 and half of 2007....The Center opened the month I started my Radiation treatments...in fact I was the first one to use the radiation machine....It is 15 minutes from home....it was fate, I truly believe that....

 I owe my life to some outstanding people...Mainly to a special group of women who helped me through an adverse time in my life...


The first one is Dr. D....( Dr Patricia Deisler)... I love this lady...she holds such a special place in my heart 4-ever...She arrived just as I received my diagnosis of Stage 3 rectal cancer.....fate stepped in once again...I remember the first time I saw her...she had just arrived from,I think, Minnesota that day....the hubby  and I were waiting for my first meeting but we had never seen her...We see this woman walking back and forth between rooms definitely on a mission... She had on snow boots and a quilted jacket..she looked so down to earth that I thought " I hope this is my doctor"!!!  she was... Dr D is the best thing that could have stepped into my life..and the hubby agrees!!

At that first meeting after looking over my records she looked at me and said..."Your going to beat this...You will be fine...we will see you soon..."

and I was!

 Sue Laliberte is another angel...she is so up beat and makes everyone laugh but she exudes a maternal feeling that just makes you feel safe...She was in charge of changing the chemo in my fanny pack that I wore 24/7...and listening to you vent & cry when needed....Sue is amazing!! She is Dr D's right hand....

Robin was in charge of my infusion that I had once a week after I recovered from surgery... She was alot of fun to be around and made the Infusion room even more brighter...

This is the Infusion Room that Robin was in charge of.... where you receive your chemotherapy...It is a bright sunny room very meditative...Other than the chemo bags hanging form the hangers it seems like a big day room to spend a few hours, napping, reading or watching some tv...


Along with Dr D, Sue and Robin there is also Kim, Colleen  & Linda...





who were all instrumental in my treatment and healing whether it was talking, laughing or listening...they all had a part...
I love them all!!

My Radiation Oncologist was Dr Sarah Thurman, she has moved to another hospital now but I was so fortunate to have had her as my doctor as well. On my first visit with her, she told me that I would consider my colostomy bag my best friend. After she said that to me, it changed how I looked at it...

From the start I had positive reinforcements from my doctors changing my outlook at the upcoming job ahead of me of battling cancer...

Not to be forgotten, is my surgeon Dr Dougald Macgillvary, at Maine Medical Center, who did a fantastic job at removing the intruder and leaving me with a pretty stoma as far as stomas go...she is small and beautiful......I am SO thankful to have had him as my surgeon...



So to end the Colo-rectal Cancer Awareness month, I want to extend my heartfelt thanks all these individuals for their part in my healing and beating cancer..I could have not done so without them...
 Though I miss seeing them, they told me that it is better that I don't see them...You don't want to see them either...SO

The moral of this story: 
Get Your Colonoscopy!!!!

8 comments:

Bodhi said...

I think that the type of people you were lucky enough to have around you during this time made all the difference for you as it would for anyone. I am so glad that these amazing, wonderful angels were in your corner. Blessings to you!

Gayle said...

You are so right, good health is precious, we need to take care of our bodies. I am so glad you had such good and uplifting care. Probably made a world of difference. We need to look for those kinds of people in all aspects of our life. People that lift us up.

the wild magnolia said...

your were blessed, it is true. an amazing group of people of the same mind can move mountains.

i am happy you are well.

Amanda said...

Sounds like a really fantastic team! So glad you had them to get you through. :)

xoxo

Donna said...

You were surrounded by angels and healing light. God Bless you and may that light shine on you always. I love your posts and new playlist:-)
(((((HUGS))))))
Donna

Barbara said...

What a blessing to have such a wonderful treatment center and caretakers. I work in a hospital, and I know how important it is to receive medical treatment in a caring environment.

I had cervical cancer in my late 20s, and my mom recently went through breast cancer treatments - we're all so fortunate to be here to tell our stories! Embrace every day...
xx

Linda said...

Thanks fro all the wonderful comments, Ladies...:)

tahera said...

Nice to know there are such caring people at care centers. Thanks for sharing

treatment centers for cancer

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...