Mar 1, 2012

Colon Cancer


March is Colorectal Cancer Awareness month...Some of you know that I had rectal cancer in 2006...the worse of the two...I am happy to say that I reached my 5 year mark of being cancer-free in January..but I never assume that it could never return...I am just thankful for each year that I pass as a Cancer Survivor!

But I want everyone to know just how important getting a colonoscopy is. If you are 50 or older...or know someone that age...be sure and tell them to get one if they haven't...It is SO SO  important...

Thanks to the new healthcare that Obama has instituted, a colonoscopy will be much more affordable as part of preventive medicine now...Kudos to the Prez for this!!!

This is the second leading cause of death and is the easiest to detect....But I believe that many environmental pollutions in the ground, water, air & food contribute to the proliferation of cancer and many other diseases.... until we address these problems, any strides made in eradicating them will be overshadowed...We need to become more organic and less chemical...

You can get it earlier if you have a family history of this disease... because I had it my children can now get tested at 40....and you can bet they will!!!

The test is so simple and takes about 15- 20 minutes..
do the colon cleansing the night before...go into day surgery....have them put you under....take a little nap...ZZZZZZZZZZZZ......people should not be scared, nervous or otherwise to get this test...

A couple hours out of your life.....tops!!!

OR you can opt to go my route, wait until obvious symptoms appear and end up with stage 3 cancer, you are given every test under the sun, a port placed in your chest to feed you chemo through a fanny pack you carry 24/7....radiation for a few months, surgery to remove some of your insides...two weeks in the hospital (eating that food! Yuck!!), & for me- a permanent colostomy bag ( she is my lifesaver), then spending a day the Maine Cancer Care Center ( post coming on them) having chemo pumped into you once a week for another 6 months as well as the fanny pack...teeth crack, your face spasms in the cold... I lost all feeling on the bottom of my feet tho 3/4 of it have come back... but for some reason my energy shot back up when I started the chemo...which was great because I had been  really tired for so long...

My hubby and I used to joke that I was no longer a pain in the ass....LOL  I still laugh at that ....but if I couldn't laugh at it I could not have beaten this!! But I don't want to see anyone have to make jokes to alleviate the terror you feel...

Believe me, you will spend more time undergoing things you will hate than a power nap for about 20 minutes...Which do you choose????

The screening only takes a minuscule amount of time from your life...cancer treatments take a big chunk...and this is SO treatable and SO preventable!!!! I cannot stress this enough...

Please choose to get the screening ...the earlier the better...

Let's turn this country BLUE!!!!! I like that!! Blue!!!

4 comments:

Moon to Moon said...

What a great post. I am a nurse and as a student worked on a colo-rectal ward and saw those who weren't so lucky. A friend of mine has had the operation and has been announced clear for now. Fingers crossed

Big love
xxx GAbi xxx

Linda said...

Thanks :) Glad your friend is doing well Gabi... Compared to others I went through the process quite well but I saw others suffering far more... I am glad to see how the awareness for CR cancer has grown...

Monica said...

wow, that's amazing you beat it. your attitude must've had a ton to do wit it!

a powerful message, thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Donna said...

I have a colonoscopy scheduled in March....2nd one. The prep is the worst part. Keep your positive attitude going. Inspiring story!!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...