Mar 20, 2012

The Benfits of Orange Peel

Next time you peel that orange don't throw it away...Dry it...there are many uses for this fruit skin that is very beneficial...the oils contained in them create a super food which is not only very good for you it is great for the home environment...

I make my own dried peel...( looks really nice in my grandfather's old canning jar) ...The hubby and I eat alot of oranges so I have been busy making quite a bit lately,,,Whole Foods is carrying some delicious Naval oranges right now so we are indulging!!!

 This is very easy...You can spread out the skins on some parchment paper or a pan..


Just let it air dry ...I usually let it dry 3 or 4 days until they are very dry..



then I grind it up in my blender... 

Here are some uses for the ground orange peel as well as the whole pieces:


  • Add it to cakes, jams, oatmeal, smoothies even tea...it can lower blood cholesterol and blood pressure levels...Use a micro grater to scrape the skin for zest...this gives a strong flavor to the food...
  • Make a facial scrub by adding a little milk...it is great for acne, pimples & dry skin...
  • Make a mosquitoes spray by adding some water or rubbing the peel right on your skin... .
  • Mixing orange peels and coffee grounds & sprinkling in your gardens will prevent cats and dogs from using it as a potty pan...
  • Throw the peels with cloves and cinnamon sticks in a pan of hot water to make your home smell great...and it really does!!
  • Mix with water and pour on the anthills or around area outside of your doors to keep ants away...
  • They can be used for kindling for a fire....
  • They are also taking steps to combine carbon dioxide gas and orange peels to make a plastic!!  very nice indeed!!
  • Boy Scout camping trick! Use a half of an orange peel and break an egg in it, set in the coals for 3-5 minutes or until cooked through...orange flavored  "fried" egg!! I will have to try this one...
  • Stick a piece of a peel in your brown sugar bag to keep the sugar soft...
  • Orange peel and salt will take out the coffee rings in your cups...
  • Hang some orange peel in a cheesecloth bag and hang in a closet to take away any musty odors...



I am sure there are many more uses  so I always keep my eye out for them...
So next time you peel an orange, stop and think of the amazing qualities in that skin....



14 comments:

Fran said...

Not sure about the orange flavoured egg, but the rest are great tips. Thank you x

Linda said...

LOL I know I wanted to try it to see what it taste like.....I have had eggs cooked in maple syrup vats and they are delicious....so I am curious about this...

:)

Air Bohemia said...

Great ideas, I'm gonna try some as soon as I can afford to buy oranges...may have to take out a second mortage...lol!

Linda said...

I know...everything is going up in price!!!

Pixie said...

Oh this is brilliant, what a great thing to share with us all.......and to think i eat oranges all the time and never think of doing anything useful with them.....x

Lisa Brantley said...

My orange peels take so long to dry, that the white flesh inside begins to mold. I've begun scraping a lot of it out, and they dry much faster....have u had this problem?
Thank you....Lisa

Linda said...

Hi Lisa....I wash my orange peels really well...then dry them and I put them on parchment and use the dehydrator so i have never had that problem....You could try putting them in the oven at the lowest setting...keep checking them to see how fast they are drying ...you could also dry them in the oven for a hour then air dry them after in a dry dark place...the initial heat set should kill any bacteria that would start causing mold...I hope that helps... :)

Lisa Brantley said...

Thanks Linda, I'll try that....I'll let u know how it turns out~ :)

Linda said...

Yes let me know... I think that that time in the oven should eliminate the problem with mold... Good Luck...:)

Lisa Brantley said...

Hi Linda, well...your advice was right on! The oven was the trick! I now have a beautiful mason jar FULL of beautiful ground orange peels, that I'm giving as Christmas gifts in jars w/spoons, and your ideas for uses....but be assured, I must keep some for myself....and I will be doing this for myself from now on! Thank you, and have a Merry Christmas. :^) Lisa

Linda said...

I am so glad to hear it turned out well...They do make great gifts too.. I love the idea of the added spoon...Nice touch :) I am going to use that one...Thanks...Have a very Merry Christmas Lisa :)

Lisa Brantley said...

Thank you Linda, I hope u have a great Christmas too! Lisa

Vivi-Mari said...

Hi, I came across this while searching for ground orange peel. I'm from Finland and in Scandinavia we use it quite frequently in desserts, not least ginger bread at Xmas. It's called pomerans. I mentioned this to a friend who's a chef here in the UK, and he knew what I meant... but I can't find it anywhere! I don't think my houshold machine is good enough for this but I will try... maybe I will have to ask my mom to send it after all! Thanks for the info about it, I didn't know it was beneficial in any way :).

Linda said...

Glad you enjoyed it.. I have a small food processor that I use to grind it...They are fairly inexpensive.... I use orange a lot for cleaning...Love the fragrance...I hope your able to get some :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...