Feb 22, 2012

The Virtues of Vinegar


I use vinegar more & more for just about everything...it is a very under-rated handy dandy all around cleaner for just about everything...I use white vinegar for cleaning & apple cider vinegar for health...make sure it is not "cider- flavored"..
I use a vinegar spray on my dogs for fleas...which works great but because we have such a problem with ticks here I do use Frontline...especially where Lil Guy has Lyme now.....

When I do the big spring clean-out of the chicken house, I use a vinegar wash then throw in cedar chips...I never have any flea problems  with the girls...This year I am growing Pennyroyal around the hen house as that is said to keep fleas away as well...ok so I am going off subject here...

My favorite clothes soap recipe is 2 cups Borax, 2 cups Washing Soda, 2 cups vinegar and a bar of Fels Naptha...


shave the soap and cook it slowly until dissolved..put all ingredients in a 5 gallon bucket...add hot water until the bucket is full.....

This last me all month and the hubby generates alot of dirty clothes....made for pennies...makes the clothes smell great and really clean.....

A couple tsps of the apple cider in water is suppose to help many heath issues such a blood pressure & cholesterol (but as with all things always discuss health concerns with your doctor).....

Don't forget those salad dressing too...I like to use Balsamic for that...when you cook fish...place a bowl of vinegar on the counter and it will remove that fishy smell in the kitchen...same for your frig to remove odors.....

This year I am making Chives Vinegar...I have a ton of them so I might as well put them to good use..it will give the vinegar an mild onion flavor...


One tip I came across on pinterest.com is heating up some vinegar and soaking your paint brushes for 1/2 hour... this works so slick!...... When I first saw this I decided to put it to the test & see how well it really worked.... so I took a paint brush that had dried rock hard & was on its way out the door...I had to soak it a couple of times for a couple of hours but it was amazing how well it brought that brush back...I am able to use it again...

I have read where a few people complain that it does not kill all germs...I guess they expect a sterile area....I am not sure that is really possible to kill ALL germs but it does kill most as well as mold & bacteria...

The best thing about this...it is environmentally friendly....and great on the budget which is always a bonus..

This is my all time favorite site for tips & uses....

& the Farmer's Almanac site as well:

For vinegar lore try this place...

For more on health benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar check this out:

For making flavored vinegars.. this is one of my favorite sites...great site for buying herbs as well...

Hope you have found this useful...

Have a sparkling day!!!





5 comments:

My Grama's Soul said...

Thanks Linda....I use vinegar as a fabric softener in my wash loads...the clothes have no odor and I know they are sanitized.

xo

Jo

turquoisemoon said...

Hey...thanks for the tips!!!

Donna said...

Bragg organic apple cider vinegar is great along with Bragg Liquid Aminos.......

Amanda said...

I LOVE vinegar!!!!! I clean everything with white vinegar, apple cider vinegar for hair rinse (make my own shampoo, too), drink Bragg's twice a day, and Balsamic - omg!!! I love that stuff!!! Homemade balsamic vinaigrette is the only salad dressing we use. :) My middle child would drink it out of the bottle if I let her.

Linda said...

Glad you guys mentioned Bragg...I should have in the post...Love that Apple cider!! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...