Feb 2, 2012

Herald of Spring...

Today is Groundhog Day here in America and it looks like seeing my shadow yesterday was a precursor to Puxatawny Phil seeing his today so traditionally winter is suppose to last 6 more weeks...
This is also known as Candlemas or Imbolc ...both festivals one christian.. one pagan...


Candlemas has to do with the lighting of many candles...fire to make the days longer and brighter and to represent the returning warmth of the sun ..it traditionally was the time in which Jesus was presented at the Temple after Mary's 40 days of purification...this was Christian attempt to overshadow the ancient Pagan festival, Imbolc , in which the Goddess is turned into a maiden after recovering from giving birth to a God...

I find many of the ancient origins are much more profound in relation to our lives and relationship to the earth....

Imbloc is Gaelic meaning "in the belly" as in Mother Earth...It also means oimelc meaning "ewe's milk" which is the sheep are pregnant and lactating...lambing season will occur in the spring.....

The Earth awakens....


This was interesting and is probably where groundhog day may have originated...
 "Imbolc is the day the Cailleach — the hag of Gaelic tradition — gathers her firewood for the rest of the winter. Legend has it that if she intends to make the winter last a good while longer, she will make sure the weather on Imbolc is bright and sunny, so she can gather plenty of firewood. Therefore, people are generally relieved if Imbolc is a day of foul weather, as it means the Cailleach is asleep and winter is almost over"

It is also St Brigid's day...this is where you get the immersion of Christian and Pagan...


Brigid was a Celtic triple Goddess... maiden, mother & crone...in each form poetry, healing and smith-craft.. she is revered as a Goddess of Creativity ( I find that appealing)  a Goddess of Fertility.....of the flame.... she is a Goddess of Forge... as well as  scared wells and water...


while St Brigid was a daughter of a Pagan Chief who named her after the Goddess, she converted to Christianity and founded a school of metallurgy...




you can read more about this day...here


For me, it is a reminder that it is not long before seeds start  growing...the planting season is just around the garden,...So as a Gardener this is an exciting time for me...I am getting ready to start many of my seeds for this years garden...in soda bottles 

my newest find for mini greenhouses..( until I get my outside one done )....I will let you know how this works...

Looking forward to Spring...to rebirth... the awakening of the earth makes these bleak days a little brighter... as it is an overcast day here,  I will respectfully refute Phil's conclusions...I expect an early Spring!!

1 comment:

Amanda ~ Blue LaReve said...

I'm so excited about how close to Spring we're getting! Within the next week we'll be getting our seeds and planning our garden (we rotate it every year). I'm doing a few soda bottle garden projects, too. Usually I plant carrots in the garden, but it's always a pain to thin them out and weed around them (I always end up pulling up the carrots!), so each of the kids is going to have a soda bottle, or two, to plant carrots in. Kind of neat because they can see through the bottle to watch them grow into the dirt. Only problem - I don't allow soda, so where to get the bottles. lol

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...