Jan 14, 2012

Uamh-Binn....The Cave Of Melody

A cave in Scotland with the same name as my daughter 
(that is what initially caught my eye) 
& whose biological roots lie in the Scottish realm as well 
through my grandmother Hanning (Hanon)

"Fingal’s Cave is a sea cave on the uninhabited island of Staff, one of the Inner Hebrides islands which skirt the western coast of Scotland. The cave’s Gaelic name is Uamh-Binn meaning “cave of melody.  
The immense arch-roofed cave creates a melodic, haunting echo of waves within its cathedral-like atmosphere; something so impressive Romantic Poets John Keats, William Wordsworth, and Alfred, Lord Tennyson all made journeys here; as well as Her Majestic Queen Victoria." 


After the Cave came to prominence by naturalist Sir Joseph Banks in 1772, James Macpherson a Scots poet historian wrote a series of Ossian cycle of poems based on ancient Galiec poems in which the cave became known as Fingal's Cave...



The cave also has been featured in art, music & literature...



Mendelssohn wrote an overture..
I recognized it after I started listening... 
****Remember to shut off my player in the right column****



 A little rock trivia for you...Pink Floyd had an early song bearing it's name as well





Hope you found this as interesting as I did...

6 comments:

laoi gaul~williams said...

ths is also linked to the giants causeway in northern ireland...part of the same formation. its so beautiful :)

Linda said...

That is right....I would love to see this...

Luthien said...

indeed an amazing work of mother nature. it looks like it could have been a remnant of some lost city, Atlantis perhaps. it's just so not of this world, so magical. i can only imagine what energy it must exude.

Barbara said...

Such a mystical place. Meditating there would be transportive!

scarlett clay said...

What an incredible place....whole thing looks like an ancient relic inside..amazing!

~Scarlett

Lady of the Woods said...

I'm obviously taking a tour through your site here LOL....this is fascinating. I wish I could see places like this in person.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...