Jan 27, 2012

DIY Friday!! "Vintage" Bobbins

I have certain ideas about what I see in my craft room...I want it to look a certain way,,,things that stir the creative juices.,..I am not one to use a lot of plastic boxes ...they are out of sight in a closet if I do use them...in my vision I want to see earthy elements like wooden boxes...antique canning jars full of beads & findings....pictures of art....crafts I have made....an old ladder covered with fabric pieces...so when I came across this idea it appealed to me.....making some vintage bobbins for lace, ribbon hemp anything that could be displayed creatively....



The original tutorial, posted below, calls for cardboard which is a great way to recycle it...but I had some scraps shingles that I had hanging around... so I got out my scroll saw and starting cutting...then I stained them with coffee and sprinkled coffee granules around and let them completely dry ...a good 36 hours...


I went further and added some French inspired pictures I got  from the Graphics Fairy which is a great place for things like this...I wanted to be able to hang them up when not in use and still look creative...


Then I added about three coats of Mod Podge but left it a little rough looking to add to that "vintage" look...

I love the way they came out & it is nice when they can be displayed to enhance the aesthetics of your creative space.. 
I will be making a few more of these in different sizes..

I thought these would also make great gift tags..... especially for the artist or seamstress in your life...
Here is the the original tutorial as well as template that I made but you can adjust it to any size you want



Enjoy!!

11 comments:

jill said...

What a brill idea your lace is so pretty.Love Jill xx

Kathy said...

This is a really cool idea! I would love to see pictures of your craft room....

Luthien said...

what beautiful tags you created!! i first thought you burned them :) but the coffee is a much easier approach giving the same effects. WOW!! these are SO pretty!!

Vintage Green said...

These are a great idea! Love the look!!

Linda said...

I love how the coffee stained them too I am not sure I could have achieved the same effect with burning...,and the coffee smells nice to work around too..:)

scarlett clay said...

This is a great concept, love the finished ones, they have such a great earthy and worn appeal...the coffee was perfect!

Scarlett

Junaluska said...

Ooh, these are awesome!

Elle R. said...

they are beautiful!! I wanna make them too, thank u for sharing =)

Zinaida said...

They are so lovely! It was a great idea to add some pictures!

Linda said...

Thanks Zinaida...and thanks for the wonderful tutorial as well.. :)

Zara said...

They are so pretty, by themselves and with lace wrapped around, and multifunctional, too! Love your vision of a craft room!
xo-Zara

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...