Dec 17, 2011

Pine Cone Hanging

This is the month to create decorations on a shoe string budget...This was a Pine Cone Hanging I made today...

All the items were things I had at the house... Pine cones, brass bells (I got  on Ebay a long time ago), burlap ribbon, some greenery  (which is fake but very realistic looking...I am leaving this up all winter otherwise I would use fresh greens)..
The Large Pine Cones were some I got from my mother-in-law and a round from the wood pile around 4 inch diameter.. I would go bigger next time so that the wood could be seen at least on the top... drill a hole near the top for hanging...

first the eyelet screws were put in the pine cones...by my elf who works secretly in the wee hours...:)

Next I cut a length of burlap ribbon...this is very wide so I cut it in half...
Now here is the trick to cutting burlap straight...

Pull one of the strings out in the middle then cut straight through that gap...
It will cut smoothly with no unraveling...

 
I tied the center of the ribbon with the string I pulled out...

and looped it through the eyelet screws several times and tied off....

Do this at varying lengths to the large Pine Cones...Lay out the cones to how you want them hang then roll the ribbon ends (as one group) over a couple of times and staple to the wood round...

staple the string of bells on top of that, then the greenery, a burlap bow and finally a cluster of small pine cones tied together with burlap string......

To make it more festive you could add vintage ornaments or mistletoe....

and you have a nice touch of Nature...

I am adding two more photos taken in the light of the day that show it much better...




Merry Christmas!!

2 comments:

Milla said...

I simply love pine cones and the touch of nature - your Pine Cone Hanging is very decorative and I'm always looking for inspiration.

Barbara said...

Ooooh, I just LOVE this!! Thank you so much for sharing your creative ideas!
xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...