Dec 26, 2011

Our Holiday...


I was not sure how our holiday was going to turn out...My Yorkie, Lil Guy,  got very sick last Friday, the 16th, so I took him to the vet and found out he had two types of Lyme disease...this even after I used Frontline and diligently scoured my animals for ticks every day...

I got the medicine but it was a couple of days before I could get them into him.....my husband & I were really scared we were going to lose him....as soon as enough antibiotics got into his system, he started to turn around...By Wednesday night he started to act like his old self, Thank God...now he is back hanging out with Molly again...protecting the homestead...


We have our family get together on Christmas Eve...  
by Thursday I had to do a catch up...

 So I made my annual batch of Pinwheel cookies like my Gram did...her recipe... as well as a Lasagna and Pumpkin Bars...


I went out and collected some evergreens and pine boughs for the house..
I took my own advice this year and decorated with antiques and flea market finds...the only thing I bought this year was some new lights for the tree...


The centerpiece above is made with an old bread dough bowl I bought years ago at a yard sale for 25 cents... the tea light holder inside the bigger one is covered in Epson salts

 A pair of child skis I got from my Dad...

 some antique skates I picked up on Ebay last year for  $10.00...
I couldn't pass these up...

 my antique willow basket filled with Pinecones..

 My Dad's blocks that he had as a child...

 Grampa Swan's snow shoes which are 100 years old this year.

My Frosty that I have had since the early 60's....

As well as a new addition...My felt Swan that my daughter got me for my birthday this year as a tribute to Grampa Swan...

 So on Christmas Eve, the candles were lit....

 I found a neat way of saving a candle if you like that particular color...I bought these dark maroon candles many years ago and I have never found  this particular color since...so I just pop in a tea light in the hollow that was created from initially using them...that way you can use soy tea lights which are better to use in a home.....

and it is not complete without the Maine Lobster stew that has become a Christmas Eve tradition started by my husband and daughter....

then we listen to Dylan Thomas read his story "A Child's Christmas in Wales", a family tradition that my daughter's boyfriend introduced us to a few years ago...We love it...

We had a peaceful Christmas Eve,  we missed a family member who couldn't make it down, and enjoyed the company of friends that stopped by...so now it is on to a new year and I hope it will be one in which good changes for our country will occur...

9 comments:

the wild magnolia said...

Linda,

Delightful post and heart treasures for tremendous Christmas Memories to share.

Thank you.

the wild magnolia said...

It is not my manners, rather my mind, that slipped momentarily. So happy your sick baby is on the mend.

My Grama's Soul said...

Hi Linda....so glad your holiday turned out so lovely. You know when our little babies are ill...it does put quite a scare into us.

xo

Jo

Bohemian said...

Dear Linda... first let me say how glad I am that Lil Guy made a complete recovery!

Your Home looks gorgeous for the Holidays... I particularly like the Snow Shoes and Skis dressed up with Holiday flourishes. As a Child when we lived in Maine I remember my Parents making Lobster Stew and having Clam Bakes on the Beach.

Thanks for stopping by with such sweet words... and a Happy New Year to you too!


Dawn... The Bohemian

A Wild Thing said...

We had a memorable holiday as well, but boy am I glad it's over...now to worry about my Grandson, he'll be 24 at 12:30 New Years Eve, I worry every year about his safety, as I know he'll be partying hardy... (like we never did, right)!

Glad to hear your baby is doing better, I had a dog on heart worm medication that died from heart worms, go figure...so now Scratchy doesn't take anything, I just watch her with regular baths and let the chickens graze for ticks...AND keep my fingers crossed!

Have a great New Years friend, let's get started with a bang into this new millenium!

PEACE

sharon

Tricia said...

What a lovely, sweet and magical Christmas! I love reading others traditions, I will look into the "Child's Christmas in Wales" story, It might be a tradition we pick up! I am also so happy your little dog is well. That's all that really matters!
Have a wonderful New Year!
Tricia

cconz said...

Linda, Wow, lyme's is very serious, i'm so happy that lil guy is doing better. Your traditions sound wonderful along with your choices for decorating. Things have become so vial with the blow-ups and the plastic garbage. It's a real turn off. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a nice comment. Leaving the country is our Christmas tradition.

Linda said...

I agree with you about those plastic blow-ups!! there is nothing worse!! Thanks for all the nice comments everyone,...and LIl Guy is back up and running at full throttle now...in fact better than before...it is hard telling how long that Lyme disease has been wearing him down...

:)

hippiebohoreloaded. said...

looks wonderful!

wishing oyu all the best for 2012 xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...