Nov 6, 2011

The Paxil Experience..


After going through my experience with this medication, I felt I should write about it...This is a medication that should only be taken if you are undergoing an extremely bad situation or depression...

I was put on Paxil by my doctor in 2006 when I was diagnosed with Colo-rectal Cancer...It worked very well and was also helpful with anxiety. Under my circumstances it did the job!!

I tried a couple of times to stop taking it. The medication can cause weight gain, a decreased sex drive as well as headaches... but stressful conditions were still occurring in my life even after the cancer treatments ended. In order to rid yourself of this medication, you need to get yourself away from as much stress as you possibly can.  I finally was able to do that.

After decreasing the mounts per my doctor's instructions, I slowly ramped down until I was taking the smallest amount possible... I finally felt I could stop....what I wasn't prepared for was the withdrawal symptoms that began after I completely stopped. At first I had no idea what was happening...I felt like I was coming out of my skin...there was a constant "scratching" sound in my head...I had flash headaches, dry mouth and cramping.  I also had anxiety attacks...a couple of bad ones...my appetite when from constantly being hungry while on the medication to no appetite at all during the withdrawals..and I was exhausted all the time...the worst part was the motion sickness that I had...it was constant...

My doctor seemed to have no clue when I mentioned these things to him...so I went online to see if anyone else had any similar problems...they sure did!!

The first thing I found out was Dramamine helped the motion sickness...I later found out Ginger works even better and was more natural and holistic approach....

Exercise helps somewhat and I forced myself to walk until it relieved some of the symptoms, which it did a little. I highly recommend anyone planning on ending Paxil to start a program before you completely stop...

My withdrawal lasted close to 2 months...I have read where some people can experiences this over 6 months or longer... I am not sure I could have done that. This was by far the worst withdrawal I have ever experienced...I thought quitting cigarettes was bad!!! I know this may sound far fetched but even my cancer treatments were not this bad...

My advice to anyone contemplating this depression medication is to think twice about it...Research it first and advocate for yourself with your physician.Sometimes, as much as you may like your doctor, they do not always fill you in with what you need to know....It is a very powerful drug..it is known to cause birth defects in babies as well as a host of other problems... I believe that if you truly need extra help with depression or anxiety, there are other medications that have less of an impact such a Wellbutrin.

This is my experience with Paxil but I hope it has helped anyone looking for answers about it...
I am posting a couple of sites that I used that has some good information especially if you are withdrawing...

Quitpaxil

Crazy Meds: The Good, The Bad, & The Funny of Psych Meds - Meds - Paxil Basic Overview:



5 comments:

the wild magnolia said...

I am so proud of you for sharing. This is information people need to help make decisions. Thank you for being honest.

Vintage Green said...

So glad that you are now well. The less meds the better off we are it seems.
Thanks for putting this out there, maybe it will help someone else.

Linda said...

Thanks ladies... I was shocked at the symptoms and felt people should know before going on this medication...Personally the less medication the better...

:)

Amanda ~ Blue LaReve said...

I think so many put so much trust in their doctor's, but like you said, you have to be your best advocate. Fortunately, with the internet, we can find out so much information about prescription drugs so we can make informed choices.

Thank you so much for sharing your story. I hope you're doing well and stay healthy.

Bohemian said...

Sharing information like this is a good thing. Quite often the Medical Community and Pharmaceutical Companies downplay the potentially harmful or life threatening side effects to prescription meds. Sure, the commercials often list an Auctioneer's Style disclaimer of most meds... but when someone is at the Doctor's Office & something new to them is being prescribed, they don't always have the access to the info they need to discern whether the risks outweigh the benefits.

I'm so happy to hear that you have had a Victory over a series of devestating illnesses, that is truly Inspirational to anyone still going through...

Blessings from the Arizona Desert... Dawn... The Bohemian

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...