Nov 2, 2011

Mi Abuelos

Today is Dia De La Muertos ...a day to honor your deceased relatives. So I thought I would take this time to honor my Mexican grandparents. I really did not know much about my grandparents until I was in my teens and then it was very sketchy..the first thing I remember hearing was that my Great Grandfather was assassinated running for President of Mexico...

Since then I have discovered over the last 20 years of genealogy work how much bigger and different the story actually was..
He was General Felipe Angeles who rejected the leadership of his government to fight alongside Pancho Villa in favor of the Mexican people...He was a Mexican Revolutionary...He was instrumental in the number of battles that Pancho Villa was able to claim victory over...He was an expert in artillery. He believed in justice for people...He was my Abuelo...

Pancho Villa thought very highly of my grandfather. He named him interim President of Mexico in 1918. I have a newspaper with the article.

My grandfather brought my GGrandmother Clara, my grandfather Alberto, his brothers and sister to New York to escape death threats...but my GGrandfather went back and it cost him his life..

My GGrandfather was betrayed and captured, tried and executed in Chihuahua  November 16, 1919.  My GGrandmother Clara died two weeks later, possibly from cancer, never knowing what happened to him, his name were her last words......

This is a bits & pieces synopsis of their story...I am posting a couple of links that give a good overall story line...there are many sites dedicated to him...a friend of mine is writing the General's biography...

General Felipe de Jesús Ángeles Ramírez

The Storm That Swept Mexico- PBS

General Felipe Angeles


A statue in Zacatecas honoring the General....

There have been many tributes, plays and songs honoring him...
This is one of many You Tube videos made....





My Great Great Grandfather Col. Felipe Angeles, father of the General

The statue of the Colonel was dedicated this year during the Centennial of the Mexican Revolution...

My Great Grandfather Felipe and Grandmother Clara on their wedding day...

My Grandfather Alberto and Grandmother Georgia Hanning..



This post cannot begin to do justice to what my Angeles family means to me...My husband, a Veteran soldier, tries to explain the military greatness of the General and it is helpful, but the awe that he expresses over my GGrandfather's military career tells me all I need to know..  So think of this as my alter to honor them today...all of them...it is also through this line that I am descended from the Toltecs...but that is for another post...

One of the best things to come out of this is not only meeting many cousins but I have finally made contact with my Aunt Maria... Tia Maru... you cannot ask for a better present than that....

4 comments:

Vintage Green said...

Linda your family history is absolutely fascinating. I can't wait to read more. The pride and love comes thru so clearly when you speak about them. It is a beautiful altar you made today
honoring them.

Hugs to you my friend,
Gayle

Linda said...

Thanks Gayle...the history is so massive I feel like I did not do it justice.... but I mainly wanted to convey my pride and love for them...Thanks for your comments...

:)

Amanda ~ Blue LaReve said...

Wow, Linda! This is such an amazing piece to your family history. One to definitely be proud of. So glad you shared it with us. I loved reading it.

I have such a love for family history. I've been reading a book my great uncle wrote on our family history. He traced back our ancestors to be one of the first settlers to come from Holland to New Amsterdam (NYC) in the early 1600's.

Gardo551 said...

Hi,

I would like to hear more of the story, as I've been told Felipe Angeles is part of my family too...not sure on which cronology, my grandmother had one of his swords and one of his vests. My grandfather's name was: Jose Ernesto Lopez Angeles.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...