Oct 29, 2011

Crows

As I have grown older, I appreciate the value of birds. There is something very therapeutic and calming watching them swooping and flying in for seeds at the feeder...or watching them sit in the feeder just looking around as though they are surveying their kingdom..

But the crow has to be one of my favorites!!  We have a crow that lives near our home ...we call him Robbie...He is quite the character!! When we are working outside he flies back and forth over us calling...so I go get him his bread...  He spent a good half hour one time taking pieces from a pile of bread I left for him, strutting around and tucking them under the grass all over the front lawn..... hiding his stash!!  He has a lady friend and is very territorial...He has been around now for 10 years since we moved here... We love him!

Crows are very intelligent and have been reported to recognize human faces... I have no doubt of that thanks to Robbie..
They have been known to fashion tools to get grubs out of trees, count to three and even talk...

They are very communal and are called a murder of crows. There is a roost near Fort Cobb, Oklahoma that is said to hold several million each winter... Can you imagine the sound when they are all cawing!!!!

Back in the early part of the 20th century they were a problem for farmers in the Midwest destroying their crops which resulted in hundreds of thousands of birds being shot and even blown up with dynamite. They do however eat a lot of pests that destroy crops so maybe that is why they were in the fields to begin with...

There are also legends such as one involving King Arthur in which it says that he didn't really die but was transformed into a crow or raven...

They are also associated with bad luck and death...

The saying "I have a bone to pick with you" was originally "I have a crow to pick with you"

In Native American Folklore, the Sioux recount the way the crow became black...

Originally white, the crow would warn the Buffalo when the hunters were coming. Afraid they would starve, they capture the leader. The elders were trying to decide what to do with him when one angry Indian threw him into the fire. He escaped but not before the soot and fire blackened his feathers.. as he flew away he promised never to warn the buffalo again..


Just some fun facts about a bird that I truly enjoy having around...and I am glad that he is black now...better camouflage!!

6 comments:

Vintage Green said...

Ever since I saw The Stand I have a hard time with crows, LOL, I know silly.......but I will agree
they are amazingly smart.

Linda said...

They always seem to get a bad reputation LOL...

Amanda ~ Blue LaReve said...

I never understood how they became associated with bad luck and death. So many people I know have such a magical experience with crows.

I know I always enjoy listening to them. They look so majestic when soaring in the air.

m said...

Hi Linda. Thanks so much for your comment.Lovely blog here too. Somewhere to spend some time. xxx mic.

BABYLON SISTERS said...

One of the "crowiest" places I've ever been was St. David's in Wales - it was magical!

Linda said...

I agree ladies...I find them magical too...It is too bad they are associated with death and bad luck...if anything they are good luck..sentinels who warn you of danger..

:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...