Sep 27, 2011

Zodiacal light



I was up late last night and on PBS I heard this young man talking about the Zodiacal Light that will be visible on the end of this week so I decided to find out when so I could see it... So set your alarm clocks for the early morning hours of Saturday ...

The Zodiacal Light is a cone of light that can be seen in the east in the pre -dawn hours... about 2 hours before sunrise, that is your window of viewing...it is also called the "False Dawn".

This light is caused by sunlight being reflected off millions of cosmic dust grains left over from the formation of the solar system, at the ecliptic plane of the solar system...or the Zodiac. The spring and fall are the prime time to view them.

If you want to see this elusive sight, find a place very dark, free from false light such as in town. A moonless night helps also. It is low on the horizon and appears as a ghostly glow, as some have described...




Hope fully I will get a chance to see this phenomenon!

2 comments:

Nate said...

Beautiful. I used to live an Illinois and loved looking at the night sky all they to the horizon. You cant see the the horizon here in Georgia. I used to know a bunch of constellations ...this has inspired me to see whats in the night sky here in September. Maybe there is an app for that :)

Thanks for sharing.

Amanda ~ Blue LaReve said...

How fascinating!! I'm not sure if I will be able to see it from my home - I'm surrounded by forests, lots of tall trees. I'll definitely try, though. Thank you for sharing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...