Aug 31, 2011

The Love of Books


We now live in an age where technology has given us Kindle. I do agree there are many aspects to this that are beneficial. You can buy or rent school books which for the college student is a huge savings...I downloaded the Kindle App for my computer from Amazon and got many of my books for my British Lit class free. There is also the added environmental reason of not cutting down trees to make more books which I agree is good. There are still plenty of books out there to reuse or "rebook".

But there is just something about a book...touching it....seeing the written word on paper....the artwork inside and out....even the musty fragrance of the pages. There are just some things Kindle will never capture...

Reading is a time of slowing down....something our society has an extremely hard time doing... So as we eliminate the things that teach us to take the time, to focus on quality and appreciate things more, we are losing out immensely. To me, it is the same thing in eliminating Cursive Writing from our school curriculum...It has to do with a personal connection.

There is also a sentimental connection. I have some of my Grandmother's and they are treasures...she passed on the love of books to me....Some of my favorite gifts have been books, many I still have from childhood...

I love books.. So I hope these images express how important and beautiful books truly are....we should not take these things for granted...






The next three photos are tiny books used as jewelry
by one of my favorite artisans Luthien Thye






Even the covers themselves can be
beautiful works of art.....










This Labor Day weekend spend some quiet time
in your favorite spot with a good book.



~~~Peace ~~~


2 comments:

the wild magnolia said...

I"m right there with you.

❤ P-E-A-C-E

P said...

I enjoyed looking through the photos in this post. Books are one of the greatest things even technology like Kindle couldn't replace. (I also want to share that my grandma has a great influence on me on reading.:') Huge thanks to our grandmas for being one of our influences on reading.)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...