Jun 2, 2011

Post- Memorial Day Post


Ok so I will try this again and see if this post stays because there are things I need to say....I try to keep my blog light but this is something I feel very strongly about....

Memorial Day...what does it really mean...A time to honor those heroes who died fighting in service to this nation. As it should be...but it should be a solemn day....a day of reflection....

Yet it is only one of two days a year where people think about Veterans...but do they??? what about the other 363 days....Sadly there are too many people do not want to be bothered with thinking about the Veterans ....Unless it is a public show, they have no time.... to understand...and that is all it takes...
My husband who is a Combat Vietnam Vet told me that day " they honor the dead because it doesn't really cost alot of money and they don't have to deal with the problems of us who survived" ....and he is right...

Most ignore the Vets that have survived the horror of combat and now suffer with physical and mental problems such as PTSD. They don't want to hear the stories or understand the thought processes of why they behave a certain way...They make their bi-annual showcase of flag-waving , BBQ's and swimming...Do you think they are even thinking about the vets who are probably at that moment contemplating suicide...do they care ???? NO not really! They care more about voting in people who love war mongering and aggression so we can "kick their asses"...a moronic statement that spewed from a so called country "singer"who has never served a day but yet prances around on stage in camo.

Or how about those who run out to see the Vietnam Traveling Wall to make their public display of "honoring" the Vet yet do not want to listen to anything the Vet has to say about that time......oh yes...they don't have "time"....or having a Vet told that displaying a Purple Heart plate is advertising that they killed people....or making insulting, disparaging remarks about behavior occurred 35+ yrs ago ..... My point.... it goes to their pathetic character....

I have had people say to me.."Well they volunteered!" OH... so I guess that means they are expendable??? NO they are not...and it is with due diligence and caution that we should ever put our troops in harm's way. Not only because of the dangers of war but the consequences of being in a combat zone creates. We do not go "cowboy" to "kick their asses" for narcissist reasons... The results are devastating not only to the Vet but to some around him. Yet somehow it is very easy to blame the vet for all the problems....... even when others are at fault with their manipulations, lies & deceitful secrets. Not only are they in a war zone in far off places but at home also....



To date 1400 soldiers have died in Afghanistan, thousands suffer from physical or mental disabilities. I know of people who scoff at that and say they need to "suck it up" ...
How very compassionate of them....but then again they do not want them to receive any "entitlements"... and isn't ironic that, once again, we find the ones making these ignorant statements have NEVER served and made sure they didn't!!!

When we have on average now 18 soldiers a day committing suicide, more soldiers died by suicide than died in the war for all of 2010!!!! We need to end the continuous nightmares, flashbacks, intrusive thoughts, the anger and depression that follow these brave soldiers day after day after day into the night resulting from combat and injustice at home......


So that would mean education...but in a country that has a serious affliction of apathy, I do not see many making that effort...many just do not care...

In a recent article on this day, Phil Polizatto's point of being fed up with people wishing him a HAPPY Memorial Day just solidifies my point...What to hell is happy about it? Of course they are because it is a mini vacation for partying, bbqing and fun!!! The big start of summer....


If I sound disgusted I truly am... too many are ignored while they suffer in silence...and it continues decade after decade.... I have no doubt that many will not like what I have to say here because the truth hurts...but as the wife of a combat vet and mother of a soldier due to head to Afghanistan I have that right...

When I gave birth to my son, I never thought I would ever worry about seeing him go into a war zone but yet here I am....worried sick...... so for those of you with young children...think about this ....they are talking about Afghanistan becoming a 20 yr war....

I fully support our soldiers with everything I have ... I believe we need a military presence..But that does not mean I want to see them thrown into wars that we should not be in...the military is for defense.....not aggression... we need to value the soldiers life...they are sons & daughters, sisters & brothers, nieces & nephews....

We have finally achieved our objective of killing Osama bin Laden. The mission that Bush failed miserably to accomplished has now been completed. It is time to come home... Lets honor all our brave heroes by Ending the Wars NOW!!




It is never to late to educate yourself....


http://www.ivaw.org/ Iraq Vets Against the War

http://www.ivaw.org/avaw Afghanistan Vets against the War


http://www.vvaw.org/ Vietnam Veterans Against War


Military suicides:






Education is the key to ending apathy...

2 comments:

Tricia said...

As a daughter of a WWII vet I understand the trauma that war inflicts on the families and folks at home that never saw combat. The damage that is suffered by the intact wonderful human being that is sent into battle is profound, impossible to put words to, and extremely sobering and should never be taken lightly. There are times when it is necessary but it should ALWAYS be understood as something to be done only in an hour of dire need. From that point forward that soldier should have anything and everything we as a "civilized" society can give them, not the least of which is counseling for life. I have always felt that Memorial Day was bizarre in the BBQs and jovial antics. It felt to me more like a time of quiet reflection and silence. I deeply and respectfully honor your husband and now your son. You I also honor for the sacrifices that you will make in your worry and in your witnessing of the harm that will come to pass. Please convey my extremely sincere gratitude to your husband and now to your son. You as well have my strong, heartfelt, yet quiet thank yous, which will never be enough. In unity and love,
Tricia Fountaine

Linda said...

Thank you Tricia for your wonderful words and understanding. I fully agree that they should be given counseling for life...these traumas never go away...for my husband he has told me that my understanding of his service in Vietnam has helped him heal from the insensitive and insulting comments and behavior but the trauma of it still never goes completely way. I have noticed that since our son has gone into the army, he has had some nightmares again from the worry he feels..
I also agree Memorial day should be a more solemn day...but many people should are too apathetic to care about the soldiers and what they go through...that is until they come home and get into trouble with drugs and alcohol..then they only demonize them...Like I said war away, war at home...

Thank you for your understanding Tricia, which I know you do and for your heartfelt words....I will pass them on to my guys...

Linda <3

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...