Jun 7, 2011

Harrison's Gold..


I am not a fan of yellow but this Antique beauty is my exception and heralds the start of my blooming flowers...It is the "Harrison Yellow" or "Harrison's Gold" as the old timers called it so I happily defer to their wisdom..... I found two small canes about 2 ' long in a stone wall at my home in Northern Maine over 15 years ago. I babied the rose bush for a while and eventually brought it with me when I moved to Southern Maine...

I planted it in my herb garden in the stone wall and left it alone.... The rose just exploded with growth ...It seems the Antique roses do not care to be fussed over too much...like a true Yankee it displays a hardiness and vigorous health.... This rose grows large and spreads everywhere.... The longest cane on this plant is 12' long... I made a big mistake one year and threw compost around the base causing it to recede the following year... I thought I had lost my rose...but it came back to my relief...

I have transplanted some of the babies along the stone wall along my driveway and have enough babies from the main plant for three more transplants this fall.. The picture on the left is last year's transplant and I just let the leaves compost around it naturally. I also think they receive iron from the stones too which is probably why you see them growing so vigorously near old stone foundations of farms... These are the best places to get the plants but I am not sure if landowners allow you to do this anymore so it would be best to check with them if possible.


If not, you can order them online....





I hope you enjoy the pictures of mine...
I apologize for the camera phone picture quality...
It just does not do it justice...

















Roses at Dusk...The seem to light up like gold at this time...



The Bridal Wreath and Peonies compliment the roses.....


adding more of these beauties...



If you look closely, you can see where the girls ( chickens)
hang out under the wreath
especially when the heat rises....


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...