May 29, 2011

My 3$ Cupboard

At one of the local Agway's, they sell antiques at amazing deals...

A few months ago , I saw this little green cupboard but decided not to grab it because I bought this Spinning Wheel instead...
One that I have been searching for a very, VERY long time...years in fact but could never afford the prices
but patience does have its rewards...
My goal is to actually use this to spin wool.

However, my hubby went back and picked up the cupboard for me as a surprise....(then he puts his surprises somewhere in our home, in this case the laundry room, where I will find it which makes it a fun game too....What a Sweetheart he is!!!)

He got it for 3$ ...It was rickety and dirty from neglect after sitting in an old farm attic for years.

But with a little cleaning with some Murphy's Oil Soap as well as some re-nailing and gluing to reinforce it making it ready for the Milk Paint to be applied.




I then applied a coat of Black Milk Paint
and wiped some of it off in areas so that some of the old paint
was visible in some areas....




Then I applied some Antique Crackle Finish
in a few areas..


Next I applied a coat of Lexington Green Milk Paint..
giving it a dark/light effect
Then I applied some homemade Black Bees Wax...(recipe below)
It settles into the cracks created by the crackle paint
and enhances the aged look even more


I try to leave runs here and there too just to add some character to it...


The little cupboard is done and ready for my upstairs bath
to hold towels and washcloths..



This is the recipe I use to make my beeswax.

Bees Wax Recipe:
2 pints Turpentine
1 Pint Linseed Oil
5 -6 ozs Beeswax , Black or Clear


Melt the wax in an old double boiler and
remove from the heat. Add the linseed oil and stir well.
Add the turpentine and stir well. pour into jars and seal.

This would also make a great homemade gift for the craft people in your life.




No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...